How to find total Kw Usage of an A/C Unit PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter PowerMan8989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the person is looking for the total energy usage of a 10 ton rooftop unit with specific model and performance data. They are also considering the possibility of installing a white roof with higher insulation to potentially reduce energy consumption. However, they are unsure how to calculate the projected energy usage at different temperatures and are seeking help.
PowerMan8989
i am trying to find the total kw usage of a 10 ton rooftop unit. Its model # is TCD120C40AAB. Its EER value is 9.2. Nominal CFM is 4000. Gross Cooling Capacity is 125,000. System Power is 12.83 kw.

I am trying to figure out how much kw i will be saving by getting a "cool roof" instead of a typical black roof. The white roof will have R-20 insulation as the black roof only had R-6.

When i look at the Product Gross Cooling Capacity Performance Data Sheet, i can search what the MBH is going to be at different ambient temperatures. This way i can see what the kw usage is at 165 degree Fahrenheit and the kw usage at 115 degree Fahrenheit and determine how much i would save by implementing a white roof. I just cannot figure out how to calculate the kw usage of my unit at different temperatures as a projection.

PLEASE HELPP!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

First, we need to discuss units. You asked for "total kW". The total kW of this unit is 13.83 kW. What you probably really meant was total energy usage. Energy is measured in kWh, not kW.

Now, the question you are asking can't be answered with a simple thumb rule or equation. It needs to be calculated with a computer simulation of the annual air conditioning required by the building.

Also, the temperature vs output data for the AC unit isn't critical here. Even if the AC unit is on the roof, it won't experience a condenser inlet temperature of 165F now and 115 later. But what will happen is the black roof will make the building heat up less than it does now, making the AC unit run less often, and that's where most of the savings comes from.

Last edited:
So its better to have a black roof or white roof, and do you mean that the white roof will make the building heat up less?

What is total Kw usage?

Total Kw usage refers to the amount of kilowatt-hours (KWh) that an A/C unit consumes over a period of time. It is a measure of the unit's energy usage and can be used to calculate the cost of running the A/C.

Why is it important to know the total Kw usage of an A/C unit?

Knowing the total Kw usage of an A/C unit is important because it allows you to estimate the cost of running the unit and make informed decisions about energy usage. It also helps you monitor the efficiency of the unit and identify any potential issues with its energy consumption.

How do I find the total Kw usage of an A/C unit?

To find the total Kw usage of an A/C unit, you will need to know the wattage of the unit and how many hours it runs in a day. Multiply the wattage by the number of hours to get the total watt-hours, then divide by 1000 to convert to kilowatt-hours. You can also use a watt-hour meter to measure the actual usage over a period of time.

What factors can affect the total Kw usage of an A/C unit?

The total Kw usage of an A/C unit can be affected by several factors, including the size and efficiency of the unit, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the frequency and duration of usage. Proper maintenance and insulation of the building can also impact the energy consumption of the A/C unit.

How can I reduce the total Kw usage of my A/C unit?

To reduce the total Kw usage of your A/C unit, you can try adjusting the temperature settings, using a programmable thermostat, and implementing energy-efficient practices such as keeping doors and windows closed, using ceiling fans, and cleaning or replacing air filters regularly. It is also important to have your A/C unit serviced regularly to ensure it is running efficiently.

Back