How to Fix an Error with the Setup of IDL/Healpix?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lyuokdea
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Lyuokdea
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Put this in the astro forum, since you guys are the most likely to be using this software...please move if that's inappropriate:

I have IDL/Healpix installed on my system, and I'm trying to run what I think should be a fairly simple set of commands, but the code is freezing in the first line of the while loop, without getting to any of the print commands:

The maps in question are healpix format and have about 192000 columns, so it's not that 1000 is larger than the map size.

Code:
read_fits_map, "maps.fits", map
read_fits_map, "mask.fits", mask
numpixels=0
totalvalue=0
numi = 0L
while numi lt 1000 do begin
        if mask[numi] EQ 0 then begin
                totalvalue = totalvalue + map[numi]
                numpixels = numpixels + 1
        endif
        print, numi
        numi = numi + 1
endwhile
print, totalvalue
print, numpixels

I've tried using a for loop:

Code:
Compile_Opt defint32
read_fits_map, "maps.fits", map
read_fits_map, "mask.fits", mask
numpixels=0
totalvalue=0
numi = 0L
for numi=0L, 1, 1000 do begin
        if mask[numi] EQ 0 then begin
                totalvalue = totalvalue + map[numi]
                numpixels = numpixels + 1
        endif
        print, numi
        numi = numi + 1
endfor
print, totalvalue
print, numpixels

and that produces an error on the endif statement of the first run.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

~Lyuokdea
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It seems that it is an error with the setup with my system...

going into hidl and typing:

y=-2
if y lt 0 THEN BEGIN
t=2
ENDIF

gives a syntax error on the ENDIF command...however i believe this is entirely correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or let me know of a way to fix that.

The same thing happens in normal idl

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea