How to get a head start to grade 11?

In summary, Grade 11 courses to become a pediatrician include taking math and science courses, and depending on the school, students may also take calculus.
tealyah
Grade 11 courses to become a pediatrician

Hi, I would like to pursue a career in the medical area and would like to become a pediatrician.
I just submitted my courses for grade 11...and I would like to go to mcmaster university.
Here are my courses:
1. Functions (math)
2. Chemistry
3. Biology
4. Physics
5. Dance
6. English
7.Anthropology
8. Dance- performance practice
The two dance courses are mandatory because I am in the regional arts program at my school.
Are the courses I chose good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Wow - good job taking a science heavy course with an arts program.
The arts shouldn't hobble you too much at this stage - may actually help.

The thing you should really do is get hold of the prospectus for the med-school you want to apply for and find their pre-med entry requirements.

Generally: Pediatrics is usually a specialization - unless the school has a separate pediatrics thing, you won't need to worry about that for a while.

Medicine is applied science though, so pay particular attention in practical work.

I'd rank the importance (for med school) of the courses from most to least as follows:
Bio, Math, Chemistry, Physics, English, Anthro, Dance x2.
... but it can vary with schools.

Good luck and have fun.

Thankyou! Yes, I contacted McMaster and they told me the pre requisites for grade 12 math. Do you think it was right for me to choose these courses? And Thank you so much for helping me out.

If those courses meet the prerequisites required then yes.

What is physics?

What exactly is physics? I will be going into grade 11 and I took several math and science courses to become a pediatrician. I currently do basketball and volleyball and rugby and volunteer at several hospitals, day cares, nursing homes. And I chose this course but can you please tell me what I will be studying? And how to get an A in this course

Just look at the table of contents of any Physics 101 textbook to see what you'll be studying.

To get an A, study hard.

Since you like sports, you could study physics with the goal of how ball trajectory is influenced by gravity and the actions of the layers. This is just one area of physics.

To get an overview of what physics is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

Your high school course will introduce you to many of these areas at an introductory level. Depending on the course description, you may need to be familiar with Calculus. As Phinds says look at the course book table of contents or a syllabus of the course from the teacher.

If this is an AP/IB course then the Tsokos book could help you learn more about these topics:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521138213/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thankyou, my school does not allow calculus in grade 11 so I will be taking it in grade 12. And I plan on buying books from chapters for my grade 11 courses to study up on them and when grade 11 starts I'll know everything and it will be sort of a review for me and I'll master the courses

That seems like a very heavy load with three sciences together. Is it a combined course or three separate courses?

In the US, students typically take Biology in tenth grade, then Chemistry in eleventh grade and then physics in twelfth grade or this sequence one year earlier. Concurrently with Physics they might take Calculus.

What math is functions? is that Advanced Algebra ie polynomials, trig functions... ?

Three separate courses and then there's functions which is math.

I live in Canada and that's not an option here haha

Yes functions is just like basic math but more advanced because It is an academic course. All of them are academic

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have review books you can get for the courses? Is there some Highschool proficiency exams dictated by Canada or your province that you must take?

For example, in New York state there are Regents tests for all core high school courses. Students take the regents at the end of the school year and are then eligible for a Regents scholarship if their grades are good enough. There is also Regents review books for these courses:

http://barronsregents.com/

or on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s,k:ny regents study guides&tag=pfamazon01-20

If so you could study these books to prepare yourself for the actual course.

tealyah said:
Thankyou, my school does not allow calculus in grade 11 so I will be taking it in grade 12. And I plan on buying books from chapters for my grade 11 courses to study up on them and when grade 11 starts I'll know everything and it will be sort of a review for me and I'll master the courses

That sounds like a good plan.

Don't forget to come back to PF with your questions and related work that will also help you to master these subjects.

tealyah said:
Three separate courses and then there's functions which is math.

I live in Canada and that's not an option here haha

Yes functions is just like basic math but more advanced because It is an academic course. All of them are academic
Please use the "quote" function when you reply and keep your replies in one post. Thanks.

I combined your responses to a single post in one post.

I also combined your three threads on the same subject into one thread. Do not make multiple posts and threads on the same subject.

Last edited:
Thankyou. :)

tealyah said:
Thankyou. :)
You are quite welcome, glad to see that you have changed your mind about the importance of following the rules and are sorry for the things you said. Apology accepted. :biggrin:

1. How can I prepare for grade 11 during the summer?

One way to get a head start for grade 11 is to review and practice the material from your previous year's courses. You can also research the topics that will be covered in grade 11 and familiarize yourself with them. Additionally, you can participate in summer programs or enrichment courses to strengthen your skills and knowledge in specific subjects.

2. What study habits should I develop to succeed in grade 11?

Developing good study habits is crucial for success in grade 11. Some habits to consider include creating a study schedule, staying organized, taking thorough notes, actively participating in class, and seeking help when needed. It is also essential to find a study method that works best for you, whether it's studying alone or in a group.

3. How can I balance my workload and extracurricular activities in grade 11?

Grade 11 can be a challenging year, especially with the added pressure of extracurricular activities. To balance your workload and extracurriculars, it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule that allows for both schoolwork and activities, and don't be afraid to say no to commitments that may overwhelm you.

4. What resources are available to help me in grade 11?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in grade 11. Your teachers are always a valuable resource and are there to answer any questions you may have. You can also utilize tutoring services, study groups, and online resources such as Khan Academy or Quizlet. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when needed.

5. How can I stay motivated throughout grade 11?

Staying motivated in grade 11 can be challenging, but it's crucial to your success. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. It's also essential to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout. Surrounding yourself with supportive and motivated peers can also help keep you motivated.