How to identify MgSO4, CaCl2, and AgNO3 solutions in three unlabeled beakers

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpecialKM
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
SpecialKM
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
There are 3 beakers with solutions inside of the beakers A B and C, however the labels have fallen off!

The labels of the solutions are: MgSO4, CaCl2, and AgNO3.

Explain the steps you would use to determine which beaker has which solution inside of each of the three beakers.

_______________________

My first intuition is that you need to precipitate something, I just don't know what. :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Follow your intuition then.

Are you allowed to use additional reagents, or can you use only the three listed? In the latter case I am not convinced all three solutions can be properly identified.
 
We can do what ever we want with it! Well, what I think is that first we take a sample of each and add Ca 2+ ions (CaO) to each, and it should then create a precipitate of CaSO4. After that take additional samples from each and add sulphide ions (Na2S) to then form a precipitate of Ag2S.

That's what I think, is this correct?
 
CaO as a source of Ca2+? Think it over.

Na2S will work, but silver can be detected much simpler, with much more common reagent.