I How to solve an ODE to find its solution

Salutations, I have a problem when I approach this ODE:

$$\left(\frac{y}{y'}\right)^2+y^2=b^2\left(x-\frac{y}{y'}\right)^2$$

I have done a series of steps as I show in this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ht4xxUlm7vXqg4S5-wirKwm7vTESU3mU/view?usp=sharing
But I'm not convinced that those were the correct steps neither solutions were adequated, and my question is:
How would be the mathematical steps to apply to find the correct solution of the ODE?

So, I would like any guidance or starting steps or explanations to find the solution of this interesting problem.
Thanks for your attention.

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well this seems like a hard non linear ODE. I tried it at wolfram and the solution seems quite complex and it is given in implicit (perplexed form) ##G(y,x)=0##

I can comment only on one of your result, the ##y=kx## simply does not verify the ODE, cause in the left hand side we get ##x^2(k^2+1)## while in the right hand side we get 0.

You can check the solution of wolfram here https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+ODE+(y/y')^2+y^2=b^2(x-(y/y'))^2 but you cant see the step by step solution unless you are a subscribed user at wolfram.

Thanks for your commentary @Delta2 about wolfram it's true, I'm not premium user, but thanks for it, indeed, y=kx is not solution, thanks for the link again.

phyzguy

Science Advisor
y=kx is a solution if k=+/-i. In other words, y = i*x or y = -i*x are solutions.

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
y=kx is a solution if k=+/-i. In other words, y = i*x or y = -i*x are solutions.
That is true, however in his/her workings he writes ##y=kx, k\in\mathbb{R}##, and i also thought we are interested for real valued functions y.

phyzguy

Science Advisor
That is true, however in his/her workings he writes ##y=kx, k\in\mathbb{R}##, and i also thought we are interested for real valued functions y.
Sorry, I missed that.

Hi, your ode splits into two odes:
##y' = \frac{(y*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)-b^2*x*y)}{(y^2-b^2*x^2)}##
##y' = -\frac{(y*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)+b^2*x*y)}{(y^2-b^2*x^2)}##
an integrating factor for the first one is
##\frac{1}{(b^2*(b^2-2)*y*(x*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)-y^2))}##
and the second one is
##\frac{1}{(b^4*y*(x*\sqrt((b^2-1)*y^2+b^2*x^2)+y^2))}##

When trying to find the solution from this integrating factor, I couldn't get it to simplify to something readable...
I only managed to find the integrating factor by assuming that the ODE has a generalized rational point symmetry using Lie's symmetry method.