Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to treat spin orbit operator directly

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    For an electron the spin operator [itex]S_z[/itex]is represented by a [itex]2×2[/itex] matrix, with spin up and down as its bases. Consider the angular momentum operator [itex]L_z[/itex] with [itex]l=1[/itex] which is a [itex]3×3[/itex] matrix. How can we treat the [itex]L_z S_z[/itex] operator directly in matrix form?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2
    If with ##L_z S_z## you mean the total angular momentum ##J_z## than you have that ##J=L+S##, so ##j=l+s=\frac{3}{2}##. The eigenvalues of ##J_z## are ##m_j=-\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2}## (##-j \le m_j \le j##). By choosing a basis where ##J^2## and ##J_z## are diagonal, your matrix operator of ##J_z## is:

##J_z = \hbar
    \begin{pmatrix}
    \frac{3}{2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & \frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & -\frac{3}{2}
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##

P.S.: i'm studying this right now, so maybe i could probably make some mistakes

4. Jan 5, 2015 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In non-relativistic physics (I guess that's all about non-relativistic quantum theory) spin and orbital angular momentum commute, and total angular momentum is given by
    $$\vec{J}=\vec{L}+\vec{S}.$$
    Then according to representation theory of the rotation group, if the orbital angular angular momentum has definite ##l## and spin ##s##, then the total angular momentum has ##j \in \{|l-s|,|l-s|+1,\ldots,l+s \}##, i.e., in your case you have ##j \in \{1/2,3/2 \}##.

Indeed the total-angular momentum space is ##(2l+1)(2s+1)##, i.e., in your case ##3 \cdot 2=6## dimensional. The possible values for ##j## imply the same dimension, i.e., ##2+4=6##.

For the eigenvalues of ##j_z=l_z+s_z##. You should look this up in a good textbook. Look for Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

5. Jan 7, 2015 #4
    Thanks, but my question is how to multiply the two matrixes directly without solving the problem this way.

6. Jan 7, 2015 #5
    You use the Kronecker product.

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6
    The usual way to get ##L S## is to use the identities
    ##J^2 = (L + S)^2 = L^2 + S^2 + 2LS##
    ##S## is a constant, so the result depends on ##L^2## and ##J^2##. With ##l=1## fixed, you can write out the basis states of ##j## in terms of the basis states of ##s##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook