How to use astronomical spectra?

• I
  • Thread starter yucheng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectra
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of downloading VOTable and FITS files and opening them using different programs. The content of the files is a table of flux vs wavelength, which can be plotted to reproduce the graph shown in the PNG file. The recommend way to open FITS files is using the python astropy.io.fits code. The conversation also mentions a guide for working with FITS files in Python.
yucheng
TL;DR Summary
Trying to open a FITS file to view stellar spectra....
As suggested here

http://svocats.cab.inta-csic.es/miles/index.php?action=search

I tried downloading the VOTable, and FITS file (tried opening using Aladin and GIMP). However, when I open the file, I get a single line (I suppose the 2D spectra is contained in a single dimensional array?). Did I open it correctly? Is there any online guide for this? Is there a better way to view the spectra? Would you suggest some guides to using spectroscopic databases in general? Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What exactly are you looking for? The PNG file is a graph of the spectrum. The ASCII file is a text file with a table of the flux as a function of wavelength. If you plot those values you will reproduce the PNG file. The FITS file has the same flux vs wavelength data in FITS format.

I typically open FITS files using the python astropy.io.fits code, but it will give you the same table of flux vs wavelength that is in the ACSII file.

Likes yucheng

1. What is an astronomical spectrum?

An astronomical spectrum is a representation of the electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by an astronomical object, such as a star or galaxy. It is typically displayed as a graph with wavelength or frequency on the x-axis and intensity or flux on the y-axis.

2. How are astronomical spectra collected?

Astronomical spectra are collected using specialized instruments called spectrographs, which are attached to telescopes. These instruments use diffraction gratings or prisms to separate the light from an astronomical object into its component wavelengths, which are then recorded by a detector.

3. What can we learn from astronomical spectra?

Astronomical spectra can provide information about the composition, temperature, and motion of an astronomical object. By analyzing the absorption or emission lines in a spectrum, scientists can determine the chemical elements present, the temperature of the object, and whether it is moving towards or away from Earth.

4. How can we use astronomical spectra to study the universe?

Astronomical spectra are a powerful tool for studying the universe. They allow scientists to identify and classify different types of objects, such as stars, galaxies, and nebulae. Spectra also provide valuable information about the evolution and properties of these objects, helping us to better understand the universe and its origins.

5. How do we interpret astronomical spectra?

Interpreting astronomical spectra requires knowledge of the physical processes that produce them. Scientists use models and simulations to compare observed spectra with theoretical spectra and determine the properties of the object. They also rely on databases of known spectra to identify the chemical elements present in an object's atmosphere or composition.