How Was the South Korean Naval Ship Raised?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter pallidin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    naval Ship
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pallidin said:
I was just doing my rounds on internet news and I came across this picture of a recently sunken South Korean naval ship being raised.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/0...-torpedo-likely-sank-warship/?test=latestnews

Does anyone know what type of vessel is used for doing something like this?

Thanks.

I think it's called a recovery/salvage barge ... its basically a giant floating crane. I have no idea how it is ballasted in order to avoid tipping over, but the whole thing is rather impressive. You can see full shots of it in this video:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/19161526
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think also in order to raise it so the crane can lift it, they use giant buoys if you like to raise it to a sufficient depth.
 
Thanks Spectra!
That's an awesome vid. Very impressive floating crane.
 
Simon Malzard said:
I think also in order to raise it so the crane can lift it, they use giant buoys if you like to raise it to a sufficient depth.

Yeah, I've heard about some serious underwater inflatable balloons to assist recovery efforts. Not sure if used here(I've heard that sometimes divers dig a channel underneath a sunken vessel to wrap chains and cables for eventual lift).
And the crane vid by Spectra rocks!