Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How was you Father's Day everyone?

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    Here's how mine was :redface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6MxLYB8hM

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Mine was the same as any other day. I have no children that I'm aware of.

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

#realtalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq06kp1fZAQ

5. Jun 17, 2013 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I went to brunch with my wife and six-year-old daughter. After this, my wife went to mark calculus assignments, and my daughter and I went and had loads of fun at a large park. At the park, there is a large playground for kids, and, because of Father's day, there was lots of other stuff going on in park: bands playing, concession tents, four "bouncy castles" for kids, and a classic car show.

I am not really a car person, but I love classic car shows. My daughter found the car show interesting for several reasons. I became a father late, and my mother and oldest sister (19 years older than me) passed before my daughter was born. I showed my daughter a couple of cars like my sister had, a sixties bug and a seventies chevy nova 350. I gave her a sense of time perspective by saying thing like "this car came out when I was grade eight; this car came out when my mother was in grade three; etc." My daughter was fascinated by the evolution of seat-belts. She checked all the cars to see if they had no seat-belts or just a a lap belt or modern seat-belts.

After three-and-a-half hours in the park, my wife picked us up, and we all went swimming at the aquatic centre. Came home and ate a late supper.

A great day!

6. Jun 17, 2013 #5
    Went to my parents home and had a BBQ. Real good time! Perfect weather.

7. Jun 17, 2013 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I called my dad and talked with him a while. It's bittersweet talking with him these days. He said he only has a small fraction of his former analytical thinking ability, and he "can't remember anything worth a damn anymore". He used to enjoy just thinking about things and amusing himself that way, but now he can't do that.

He said, "I sure do miss myself." :cry:

8. Jun 17, 2013 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cry: This is so sad. :frown:

9. Jun 17, 2013 #8
    I'm sorry Lisab. I think that the most important thing to him is that you called him. Good daughter :smile:

10. Jun 17, 2013 #9

turbo

Gold Member

We sealed the driveway and took care of some gardening. I called my father and asked if he could come down here on Monday afternoon to pick up a big dish of pulled pork, a batch of macaroni salad with bacon, and some home-made French bread. He'll be coming, for sure.

Earlier in the day, a couple of sisters hauled in materials and built a fire-pit in his back yard. It might seem a bit useless, but the great-grand-kids would probably love touching off a fire and cooking some hot-dogs, s'mores, etc.

11. Jun 17, 2013 #10
    My dad was working, and both of my grandfathers are, well... umm... dirty. So pretty lonely for all people potentially involved.

Got him a card, though!

12. Jun 17, 2013 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I volunteered as an EMT helping to teach a 16-hour wilderness first aid class over the weekend. Got a real nice text message from my 19y/o son during the class -- made my Father's Day. :smile:

Attached Files:

13. Jun 17, 2013 #12

drizzle

Gold Member

Sorry to hear that Lisa :( I wish him the best.

14. Jun 17, 2013 #13

Ibix

Science Advisor

I'm now the proud owner of a mug that says "PAPA" in childish handwriting. I think that's the second word my little boy has learnt to write. :smile::approve:

LisaB...:cry:

15. Jun 18, 2013 #14

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Knowing how to write two words and being able to order the mug is definitely something extraordinary :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Lisa :(

Father's Day here is on 26th.

16. Jun 24, 2013 #15
    had an great day with everyone

17. Jun 24, 2013 #16
    Was planning on talking to my son, but for reasons out of my control, my ex (his mother) decided he wouldn't be allowed to call me that particular day. The boy is only 5, so he can't argue his case. Its all about his mother and trying to get back at me.

18. Jun 24, 2013 #17

turbo

Gold Member

My father had a pretty good day today (Monday). He made the trip down here and picked up a large covered dish of pulled pork, a loaf of fresh French bread, and another container of freshly-made cole slaw. After all, what's the point of having a pulled-pork sandwich without a side of slaw? He called in mid-afternoon to rave about the food. At 87+, he's got everything that he might need, but he is a real fan of home-made meals, and he won't cook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook