How would a sun that rises in the west affect days, years, and the moon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Johnna
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi. I'm really not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I'm sorry. Anyway, here's the thing: I'm doing research for a fantasy novel I'm writing. I know virtually nothing about any kind of science, so I need help with the following question: if the sun were to rise in the west and set in the east, what would change in the world? Assuming that the sun has always done so, of course. Would the length of days or years change? How would it effect the moon, or would it make more sense that the moon would rise and set on opposite horizons as well? I'm sorry if I sound unintelligent, but like I said, I'm not profiecient at science at all. If anyone could help me out, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,
Johnna
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference would be that the Earth is rotating the opposite way on its axis to what it is now. It would probably make more sense that the moon was opposite as well. It would also be possible if instead of north being designated the way it is today, if we thought of south as north then the sun would rise in the west and set in the east.

So overall there's not much difference. What difference did you expect?
 
I would think that you would get a change in the convective currents around the planet and thus wind patterns. I would also assume that the jet stream would be effected.

Would it mean moss would only grow on the south side of trees?
 
FredGarvin said:
I would think that you would get a change in the convective currents around the planet and thus wind patterns. I would also assume that the jet stream would be effected.

Would it mean moss would only grow on the south side of trees?

Either way it sounds thrilling for a fantasy novel.
 
Cyclone fences would have to be replaced with anticyclone fences.
 
IIRC, all we have to do is watch Superman where he gets the Earth to rotate backwards to save Lois Lane. We already have the answer.
 
FredGarvin said:
IIRC, all we have to do is watch Superman where he gets the Earth to rotate backwards to save Lois Lane. We already have the answer.
Speaking of which, why didn't he just hustle when he was chasing the two rockets?
 
Thanks to everyone for replying. As for what I expected to be different, I'm not sure, but I have to do all the research to be completely sure of everything, or else my book won't make sense if I leave something out. Anyway, thank you all very much for your help, and I'll be sure to watch Superman to further my research. ;)

--Johnna