I am very intrigued by the theory of quantum physics

In summary, the conversation centers around a person's interest in learning about quantum physics and their request for recommendations and guidance from fellow physicists. The responders recommend starting with a historical perspective or diving into the more intriguing aspects of the subject, and suggest various books and resources for further learning. They also caution that quantum physics can be confusing and perplexing, but encourage persistence and not giving up.
intphysicsnoob
This subject is pretty new to me I'm not in school or anything but my mind is hungry for knowledge and there is so much to learn and discover when it comes to quantum physics. please fellow physicists tell me what you know and what you think some one new would enjoy learning. feed my mind. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
intphysicsnoob said:
This subject is pretty new to me I'm not in school or anything but my mind is hungry for knowledge and there is so much to learn and discover when it comes to quantum physics. please fellow physicists tell me what you know and what you think some one new would enjoy learning. feed my mind. =)

You are asking for a MASSIVE dissertation. Do some research on your own and come back with specific questions. The internet is FULL of decent material that's free.

I enjoyed learning the early history of quantum theory - starting with the ultraviolet catastrophe and ending with the schrodinger equation & Heisenberg's mechanics.

thank you jorris i did start with schrodingers cat going to check ultra violet catastrophe and i have done some research i was seeing what other people had to say about what intrigues them.

intphysicsnoob said:
thank you jorris i did start with schrodingers cat going to check ultra violet catastrophe and i have done some research i was seeing what other people had to say about what intrigues them.
Or you could just get a quantum mechanics book that starts with a historical perspective. Most modern physics books do this, mcquarrie quantum chemistry, etc.

The thing is, if I tell you what intrigues me about quantum mechanics - it's things like gauge invariance and the aharonov bohm effect, bose-einstein and fermi-dirac gasses, etc. Stuff that takes a lot of time and effort to get to and to understand. If you want to learn the exciting aspects of QM, you need to get through the boring parts and do the subject right.

intphysicsnoob said:
Could you tell us how much math you know, so we can better tailor the recommendation?

Jorriss said:
Or you could just get a quantum mechanics book that starts with a historical perspective. Most modern physics books do this, mcquarrie quantum chemistry, etc.

That would be my suggestion as well - just dive in and persevere.

Thanks
Bill

intphysicsnoob said:

I just finished reading the book Entanglement and I now want to learn more about the Measurement Problem. It seems to be one of the more mind blowing aspects of quantum physics.

I recently read QED by Richard Feynman, that was a good place to start. Another one I am currently reading which is pretty good is called the quantum divide. There are also some good introductory textbooks, I read a bit of griffiths' introductory textbook, and that is laid out very well. A word of caution, this stuff not only is weird, but perplexing. Don't give up if it seems too confusing initially.

There are two ways to start. Firstly you start from history, read up david bohm or any of these books, there come chronologically, else start off from the interesting things directly, read feynmann lectures vol3, or book by Prof G Venkataraman called, The Breakthrough its his first book on the quantum theory, thin and a very interesting and amazing starting point! It introduces all key idea without going into the details of mathematics, after that just jump into either the book by Dirac or read Sakurai!

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles at this scale interact with each other and with the forces of nature.

2. What makes quantum physics different from classical physics?

One of the main differences between quantum physics and classical physics is that classical physics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Additionally, classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics is probabilistic in nature.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances. This has significant implications for quantum computing and communication.

4. How does quantum physics relate to the concept of superposition?

Superposition is a principle in quantum physics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. This means that until a measurement is made, the particle can be in a state of both being and not being in a certain position, for example.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as quantum computers, cryptography, and sensors. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and medicine.