Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I dont feel like being great at anything

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ya know... something that always kinda pisses me off is the fact that it seems like you can't really be 'one of the best' in anything anymore. Why is that? Because people are freaks. Seriously, for everything there is to do out there, theres some person willing to devote every waking second to that one thing no matter how insignificant it is. Thanks to them, you, being a normal human being, don't stand a chance. It's as if these people fully believe their sole purpose (or don't realize they're wasting away) in life is to do one stupid thing every waking hour and be the best at something. You may think you're good at... pinball... but theres probably quite a few people playing 15 hours a day, 365 for the past 40 years capable of beating you.

I don't know whats more depressing, the fact that you just can't win or the fact that people actually will consciously devote their lives to things as insignificant as being the worlds greatest yo-yo trick whatever person. Or yomamma.

Comment on how annoying freaks are.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

If you are not the greatest you are pond scum, get used to it, but that is only to (thier) estimation, (they) are no better than you.

4. Jul 15, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No one spends that much time playing Pinball, especially not for 40 years. Maybe for a week, but who cares really.

Some people have natural talents.

No one spends every waking second on one possible thing.

No one devotes their life to yo-yo tricks. Things like this is sometimes simple practice of 30-60 minutes a day.

Who's to judge what one must do?

You are blowing this WAY out of proportion. Because you hate (which is stupid) people that are awesome at stuff, you downplay them and say they are wasting their lives on insignificant things just to make yourself feel better. Honestly, it's people like this who make me sick, but then they don't really bother me because they just tend to dig themselves in a bigger and bigger hole of garbage and I don't like looking in that hole of garbage.

Stop whining.

Personally, when I see people do amazing things that I know takes years of practice, my jaw just drops because it takes pure dedication. I know for a fact they DON'T spend every waking second doing it. Maybe 60 minutes a day TOPS with a day or two off a week. Lots of those people have lives, like family, jobs, other hobbies, and also like to hang out with friends, etc...!!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  5. Jul 15, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

30-60 minutes a day? You wish, Canada must be full of some mediocre people.

6. Jul 15, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Get real, if you wanted nothing more than to pull your plonker for 24 a day
    where would it get you.

7. Jul 15, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah i guess most people dont want to play with balls for so many hours a day.

8. Jul 15, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Um... YEAH!

Have you ever tried doing something 60 minutes a day and seeing where it leads?

I know some people who go out to play pool once a week and that's it. After a few years, they are just really good. It's like... wow. Only once a week!

Of course, some people spend more time on things like hockey and so on. But then their income depends on it, but don't wrongly assume they have no life. Downplaying people just puts you deeper in the hole of garbage.

Note: The garbage is usually depression and low self-esteem... and so on. I'm surprised I'm even wasting my time on this thread because I never waste time with people who have this attitude. If I do, it's only for a little to try and change the perspective to a better one.

Like honestly, you talk about people with no lives and yet you spend a lot of time on here PF, which is more insignificant to like going outside playing basketball and what not.

Note: PF becomes insignificant when the time spent on here is excessive. I hope you understand what I mean. Yeah, we have PF days sometimes too, but that's fine. Lots of people on here have fantastic lives outside of PF, which is why people always ask and treasure advice on here because there is so much wisdom to be shared and that can only be acquired through good living.

9. Jul 15, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha... me depressed? Me low self-esteem? Do you even read the Pengwuino times? :biggrin:

I think you're a little too insecure to be understanding the Penguin.

I'm not even talking about the people who play pool for a week and are good or people whos income depends on it. Im specifically talking about people who practice non-sensicle things to become the 'greatest' at it and they practice for many many hours a day. They think its fun! And then one must think "yah its fun... but how can someones life revolve around something so meaningless". Actually why am i arguing with you? You're just rambling on about nothing (until of course, you can tell me how one becomes the 'greatest' at PF... although im a pretty snazzy PFer, i got mad skills).

10. Jul 15, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I just settle for being good or satisfactory or adquate. :biggrin:

11. Jul 15, 2006 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pengwuino makes the world's best deep-fried powdered sugar cheese sticks.

12. Jul 15, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You mean the worlds best shallow-fried powdered sugar cheese sticks.

13. Jul 15, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

shut up God. :biggrin:

14. Jul 15, 2006 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Why obsess about being the best at anything? If you can do something well, great. If not, maybe your talents lie elsewhere or you need to develop better skills. Do what you like, and try to learn as you go - you'll get pretty darned good at it. I have been playing guitar for over 40 years, and played professionally for a time, and every time I pick up a guitar, I learn a little something, if only reinforcing basic skills. I have a friend who people around here consider a guitar "god" and he often asks me for tips on how to throw double note bends into a blues solo, and other techniques that are part of my style. Don't try to be "the best" by using someone else's performance as a yardstick.

Example: Who is the best guitarist in this list?
    Chet Atkins
    BB King
    Mark Knopfler
    Eric Clapton
    Buddy Guy
    Vince Gill
    Jimmy Page

There is no answer. They are all incredibly good at what THEY do, so apart from matters of taste, such a comparison is fruitless. BTW, since they are playing what they want to play, they have developed styles so distinctive that I can identify them from listening to a few seconds of their playing. Style doesn't come from mindless practice - it comes intuition, experience, inspiration, and the ability to make lemonade out of life's lemons.

15. Jul 15, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

BB King

And actually i think thats the sole way of deciding if you're the best... by measuring up to someone else's performance. And really, this is less of a 'damn i wanan be the best' rant then it is a 'how can these other people waste their lives on such meaningless things'.

16. Jul 15, 2006 #15

berkeman

I know I'm not the best in the world or country at anything in particular, but I strive to be very good in several things at the same time. Get good in three or four challenging things, and feel good about your cross-section achievement. Like in high school, I felt great about getting the "Scholar Athlete" award. That's a great combination. Yeah, I was only salutatorian of my senior class, but #1 and #3 weren't standout athletes.

Work at improving and getting good at a couple of different things, Penguino. The world champ at Yo-Yo tricks probably doesn't know squat about QM.

17. Jul 15, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

yah but my point is... what the hell does yo-yo do for you in life. I just don't really understand people who do seemingly meaningless things as an obsession... Maybe i'm getting too philisophical about this. What is meaningless? What is meaningful? What is yomamma?

18. Jul 15, 2006 #17
    I feel your pain man. Like beauty, whether a skill skill is meaningless or not ,seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Here is a link to an expertise, that you might want to consider.:rofl:
    http://www.ifoce.com/contests.php

And these guys always seem to get their names in the news papers.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  19. Jul 15, 2006 #18

berkeman

OMG. From the "Records" page:

20. Jul 15, 2006 #19
    Let me relate a quick story.

About a year ago, I met a girl who took me out to a salsa club for the first time. I liked it, alot. So much in fact that once a week quickly became twice a week.

I was having so much fun that I joined a training team and for 3 months we were dancing 6 days a week for a few hours every day. This was not work, we were dancing, and having a great time.

Today I teach private lessons, and until recently was also teaching group lessons in a few clubs around the bay, as well as doing shows here and there for exposure and money on the side.

It is not difficult to become good at something if you enjoy doing it.

Nor is it "meaningless," so long as it has meaning for you.

21. Jul 16, 2006 #20
    Well it surely isnt any worse than the uncountable number of teens and twenty somethings that spend hours and hours each day playing counterstrike or diablo ect. Or the countless of people chasing a ball for hours every week. Sure it might bring them some money if they are truly gifted but thats about it.

Aslong as its fun it isnt a waste. Time is to precious to spend it on boring things ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?