I encountered some of you guys on B forum, just thought i would say

  • Thread starter old ned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary: Interesting tidbit - the Egyptians used domesticated ferrets to guard their granaries because the ferrets would eat the pests (insects, rodents, etc) and not eat the grain. Eventually, Eqyptian royalty got into their cat-fetish and cats became all the rage.What I mean, is if cats were allowed to roam free in an environment with a high incidence of Black Death (and not hunted down like a witches in early Britain), they themselves, would be a vector for the bacterium. If your infected cat came around and rubbed against your legs for attention, any scratches on your skin would allow transmission of the disease. (they do lick
  • #1
old ned
2
0
I encountered some of you guys on B forum, just thought i would say hello.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2


Hi Ned. Welcome to PF!
 
  • #3


Hey old ned, welcome to PF!
 
  • #4


Hey Old Ned!
 
  • #5


Welcome old ned.
 
  • #6


Are you going to be around for awhile? I want to see those stone etchings.
 
  • #7


Evo said:
Are you going to be around for awhile? I want to see those stone etchings.

Alas, they have gone to the museum, along with the elongated leaf shaped ring and dot decorated pendant thing i found, in fact i gave them loads of things i have found.
I wish i did not take this option, it was like a prisoner giving his personal bits and bobs to a jailor i thought i would at least get a thankyou.
 
  • #8


Too bad ned.
 
  • #9


An aside, did you guys know about the murder of cats in the old days, it seems witches were not the only hunted things, the killing of cats may have hastened the black death, how crazy is that.
 
  • #10


I heard cats were burnt just like witches.
 
  • #11


old ned said:
An aside, did you guys know about the murder of cats in the old days, it seems witches were not the only hunted things, the killing of cats may have hastened the black death, how crazy is that.
Yes, I have read that. The rat population was out of control without the cats.
 
  • #12


Hi Ned! Welcome to PF - hope you like it here.

Sad that people were so unenlightened about kitties back then, isn't it :cry:.
 
  • #13


lisab said:
Hi Ned! Welcome to PF - hope you like it here.

Sad that people were so unenlightened about kitties back then, isn't it :cry:.

One can only wonder, i can not even imagine killing animals as some sort of revenge, but in Germany, France, they were even putting animals on trial, pigs, horses, rats etc, they must have had some good enterprenters in those days.
 
  • #14


Hi old ned! I welcome you to PF, like everyone else here. :smile:

The killing of cats may have, "hastened" the black death like you speak, due to the original purpose of the cat. Cats were used to keep grain stores, free of rats. When there aren't any cats, the rat population expands, and thus fleas become a bigger problem. (obvious of course)
 
  • #15


Welcome Ol' Ned! nice to see you on PF..
On this kitty discussion, i see they are also very susceptible to contacting plague from rat fleas. (http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcfleas.htm" ). So even if they could have aided in keeping down the rat pop'n, they could have accelerated the spread of the plague.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #16


Ouabache said:
On this kitty discussion, i see they are also very susceptible to contacting plague from rat fleas. (http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcfleas.htm" ). So even if they could have aided in keeping down the rat pop'n, they could have accelerated the spread of the plague.

I don't think that is true, that the cats could have, "accelerated the spread of the plague." The reason is that, the major carriers of the plague were the black rats. Even if the cats were susceptible to the disease, it doesn't mean that they were a major contributor to the spread of the disease. (the amount of rats compared with cats and the fact that the rats did not die of the disease, whilst the cats did)
link: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...57C0A962958260&n=Top/News/Science/Topics/Cats
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #17


Hello and welcome, enjoy your stay.
 
  • #18


Wecome, Old Ned!

Interesting tidbit - the Egyptians used domesticated ferrets to guard their granaries because the ferrets would eat the pests (insects, rodents, etc) and not eat the grain. Eventually, Eqyptian royalty got into their cat-fetish and cats became all the rage.

On cargo ships, a mix of ferrets and cats was employed. Ferrets could get into much tighter spaces to "ferret out" their prey, and if they could not catch the rats, etc, they could at least drive them out to more open areas where the cats had a chance to kill them.
 
  • #19


~christina~ said:
I don't think that is true, that the cats could have, "accelerated the spread of the plague." The reason is that, the major carriers of the plague were the black rats. Even if the cats were susceptible to the disease, it doesn't mean that they were a major contributor to the spread of the disease. (the amount of rats compared with cats and the fact that the rats did not die of the disease, whilst the cats did)
link: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...57C0A962958260&n=Top/News/Science/Topics/Cats
What I mean, is if cats were allowed to roam free in an environment with a high incidence of Black Death (and not hunted down like a witches in early Britain), they themselves, would be a vector for the bacterium. If your infected cat came around and rubbed against your legs for attention, any scratches on your skin would allow transmission of the disease. (they do lick their fur to clean themselves though i don't know, off hand, how long the bacteria may survive in saliva, and also any sores on their skin are potentially infectious) So in addition to the rats carrying fleas, the cats would be a contagion and carry the disease closer to their human companions, thereby accelerating spread of the disease.
 
Last edited:

Related to I encountered some of you guys on B forum, just thought i would say

1. Who are "you guys"?

"You guys" refers to a group of individuals who are active members on a specific B forum. These individuals may share similar interests, hobbies, or opinions, which is why they are part of the same online community.

2. What is a B forum?

A B forum is an online platform where users can engage in discussions, share information, and connect with others who have similar interests. These forums can cover a wide range of topics, from hobbies and interests to more serious discussions about current events or social issues.

3. How did you encounter these individuals on the B forum?

I encountered these individuals on the B forum by actively participating in discussions and engaging with other users. I may have also come across their comments or posts while browsing the forum.

4. Why did you feel the need to mention encountering them on the B forum?

I thought it would be nice to acknowledge and thank these individuals for their contributions to the forum. By mentioning them, I am also showing my appreciation for their insights and perspectives.

5. Can I join the B forum and be a part of this community?

Absolutely! B forums are open to anyone who shares a common interest or wants to engage in discussions with like-minded individuals. You can create an account on the forum and start participating in discussions right away.

Similar threads

  • General Discussion
4
Replies
138
Views
9K
Replies
5
Views
1K
Replies
24
Views
805
Replies
12
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
4
Views
888
  • New Member Introductions
Replies
2
Views
81
  • General Discussion
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
10
Views
750
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
47
Views
3K
Replies
14
Views
576
Back
Top