I have a general question, totally clueless

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of physics equations and the different types of symbols used in them. The speaker also mentions how experience and understanding of concepts is necessary to read and interpret these equations. They also mention that current knowledge in physics is built upon previous discoveries and experiments, allowing for new discoveries to be made in the future.
uperkurk
I just cut this from a university PDF file I found and just looking through. I understand absolutely nothing what is being said and I don't study physics in anyway. I can't even do algebra haha but I have a queston. Who invents this stuff? How can anyone remember all that stuff? How is it possible for someone to sit and think, then come up with such an equation or formula?

More to the point, how many different types of symbols are there in physics lol. Just inventing more and more by the looks of it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the notation is just shorthand for calculations that are simple but tiresome when written out in full, e.g. multiplying and adding rows and columns of numbers in a certain order. Lots of "linear algebra" falls into that category. Then one step up from that would be calculus, which you can understand geometrically in terms of slopes and areas, but where the experience you need to read the symbols is more complicated than for algebra. Finally, you have the physical concepts that you need to read equations like those, like momentum, wavefunctions, groups of fields, because that's what the equations are ultimately talking about.

Experience also teaches you what's essential and what's inessential. For example, the central relation here is that an operator "C" applied to a two-part object (psi, psibar) gives the sum of two other two-part objects. The "i"s and "1/p"s are just numbers, details. It's just like how, if you were reading a sentence, you would know that the noun is the subject, and the adjectives modify the noun.

also, people don't just sit around and think up equations. All of our current knowledge is based off of what we already knew. It's like a big pyramid. Or maybe more like a big pile of sand that is getting more sand piled on to it. Something like that.

Long time ago, we started with the basics. Eventually, after lots of experiments and stuff, we've reached our current level. It's all built off of the stuff before it.

It's why kids can go to school, learn basic physics, and then eventually go on to make discoveries of their own when they become scientists.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions or solve problems. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How do scientists choose which research question to study?

Scientists typically choose research questions based on their interests, expertise, and the potential impact of the study on the scientific community and society. They may also consider funding availability and the feasibility of conducting the research.

3. Can you explain the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a tentative explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-substantiated explanation that has been extensively tested and proven. Theories are supported by a large body of evidence, whereas hypotheses are still being tested.

4. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their results?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the accuracy of their results, such as conducting controlled experiments, repeating experiments, and using statistical analysis. They also undergo peer review, where other scientists evaluate their methods and findings before publication.

5. What is the role of ethics in scientific research?

Ethics play a crucial role in scientific research to ensure that the rights and well-being of participants, animals, and the environment are respected. Scientists must follow ethical guidelines and obtain informed consent from participants before conducting research.