I just saw a fireball and nobody cares

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: I saw one in the UK, very big and burning, and about a minute later I heard a sonic boom. Later, I estimated the delay by walking the route again with a stop watch, and I estimated the elevation angle with a sextant. There is a reporting centre, and although the ball was very prominent, only three people had seen it. But the locating centre located its position from the observations, about 30 miles from me horizontally.In summary, a fireball was seen low in the sky in front of the author, and it passed almost due east. The fireball had a distinct green disc with stubby tail, and it faded out after two flairs. The author was sad that the dash cam did not capture the fireball
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Friday night (9:27PM EST, May 1 , 2015) I was driving on the QEW when a fireball appeared low in the sky in front of me. Passed almost due East. A very distinct green disc with stubby tail falred twice before fading out.

(0:06 - 0:09) very low over the highway. I'm really sad that the dash cam is so wide-angle it looks like just a dot.

(I was away for the weekend, so it was two days of hand-wringing before I knew if the dash-cam caught it)

Here I thought I'd upload it to CTV and be on the 11 o'clock news. :(

Likes Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your wife had never seen a shooting star before? Really?

I remember seeing a magnificent meteor while accelerating up the on-ramp onto I-20 in Bossier City one night. I remember it being white streak with perhaps a hint of red/orange, then quickly flaring up to a bright green before fading away.

russ_watters said:
Nope.

And now she's seen a fireball.

Is there a way to estimate the size of a fireball based on it's brightness, distance traveled, and burn time before ablation? I recently witnessed a very large and very bright fireball traverse the visible sky (parallel to the horizon) just before dusk. Estimated burn time was 4-5 seconds. I have never witnessed one with this trajectory, brightness, burn time, or size.

russ_watters said:
I'd say that most people are oblivious to the night sky.

2milehi said:

It's generally pretty boring unless you live in a super dark area and/or know what you're looking at.

Likes davenn
2milehi said:

in general that would be a correct statement and a pretty sad one at that ... doesn't say much for our education system huh !?

Drakkith said:
It's generally pretty boring unless you live in a super dark area and/or know what you're looking at.

uh huh ... people just don't realize that the night sky is constantly changing. Even just a little good education would open their eyes to the awesome things going on up there
variable stars; phases of the Moon and Venus; dust storms on Mars; the occultations and transits of Jupiters moons the coming and going of its belts;
the sunspot cycle and aurora; nova and supernova; comets and asteroids

just a few of the many things that even an amateur astronomer can get involved in observing

Dave

Likes Drakkith
davenn said:
in general that would be a correct statement and a pretty sad one at that ... doesn't say much for our education system huh !?
uh huh ... people just don't realize that the night sky is constantly changing. Even just a little good education would open their eyes to the awesome things going on up there
variable stars; phases of the Moon and Venus; dust storms on Mars; the occultations and transits of Jupiters moons the coming and going of its belts;
the sunspot cycle and aurora; nova and supernova; comets and asteroids

just a few of the many things that even an amateur astronomer can get involved in observing

Dave
I saw one in the UK, very big and burning, and about a minute later I heard a sonic boom. Later, I estimated the delay by walking the route again with a stop watch, and I estimated the elevation angle with a sextant. There is a reporting centre, and although the ball was very prominent, only three people had seen it. But the locating centre located its position from the observations, about 30 miles from me horizontally.

A few years ago my friend and fellow retiree Harvey and I were playing a game of Carcassonne after lunch at my home in Seattle. I looked up and saw a fireball in the daylight sky though the sliding glass door. We grabbed the binoculars, went out on the deck and took turns observing it with the Bushnell 7 x 35. I could tell more or less where it was, since it was between some scattered clouds that were in familiar places over the cityscape known to be about 5 miles away. It appeared to be as wide as an airliner body. The fireball was traveling horizontally and silently, blazing bright yellow, not too fast and leaving no trail. We watched it until it disappeared into a cloud. Scouring the papers and local news for the next few days, it appeared no one else saw it or reported it. Right over a city of half a million! IMO, too many people are looking down into their phones instead of up into the environment.

1. What is a fireball?

A fireball is a bright, luminous meteor that appears to be larger and brighter than a typical shooting star. It is caused by a small piece of interplanetary debris entering Earth's atmosphere and burning up due to friction.

2. Why do people not care about seeing a fireball?

People may not care about seeing a fireball because they are not aware of its significance or rarity. Many may mistake it for a shooting star or fireworks and not realize that it is a natural phenomenon.

3. Is it dangerous to see a fireball?

No, it is not dangerous to see a fireball. Most fireballs are small and burn up in the atmosphere before reaching the ground. They pose no threat to people or property.

4. How often do fireballs occur?

Fireballs occur more frequently than most people realize. On average, about 30,000 meteorites enter Earth's atmosphere every year, but most are too small to be noticed. Larger fireballs that are visible to the naked eye may occur a few times a year.

5. Can a fireball be predicted?

Unfortunately, fireballs cannot be predicted with accuracy. They are completely random and can appear in any part of the sky at any time. Some organizations track and predict meteor showers, but these are different from individual fireball sightings.

Back