1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other I need a book for math competitions

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
    Hi
    As the title suggests, I'm looking for a math book that has some competition-style problems in it, with explanations on how to solve them. I have found numerous of other competitions online but the explanations are very not understandable for me. I am NOT talking about international competitions, but regional. This is high school math.

Here is an example:

Find all prime numbers p and q and a natural number r such that they satisfy the equation.

p2 + q2+pq = r2

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2016 #2
    You might find recreational mathematics books with a focus on puzzles useful. My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles by Martin Gardner, for example.

4. Jul 1, 2016 #3
    I checked the book and I think I should add another example for better understanding.

Determine a maximum and a minimum of the function:

f(x)=√(sin4(x)+4cos2(x)) - √(cos4(x) + 4sin2(x))

5. Jul 1, 2016 #4
    If you want to learn background knowledge, challenging problems along with good explanations, I recommend any book written by Titu Andreescu.

6. Jul 1, 2016 #5
    "104 Number Theory Problems: From the Training of the USA IMO Team," "Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Calculus," and "Challenging Problems in Algebra" might help you, then.

7. Jul 1, 2016 #6
    Thumbs up for "104 NT Problems"; I used it to learn basics of elementary NT before studying analytics aspect. I think that book can be used as a first introduction to ENT too. Any book by Andreescu is extremely well-written.

8. Jul 1, 2016 #7
    I found the last book, and it is perfect, thank you

9. Jul 2, 2016 #8
    I have found an interest in problem solving myself. I ordered, but have yet to receive and view the contents of, two books. One is the USSR Olympiad Math problems book published by Dover and a problems book published by the MAA.

10. Jul 4, 2016 #9
    Thank you but I think it should be said. The problems I am solving are much easier than any olympiad problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted