Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I really ought to visit Northern Norway! You, too?

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wow, I didn't realize they were that large. I would love to visit the museum.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

Borek

IMG_3298.jpg

:biggrin:

But we were not inside. Expensive, and we came just about an hour or half an hour before closing, so it didn't made any sense to enter the area (and it is huge - not only a building, but also an open air part).

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Very impressive hall! Does the management serve mead in horn cups? :tongue:

6. Feb 1, 2012 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yup!
    From real aurochs horns..:smile:

7. Feb 1, 2012 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A bit more impressive than the Golden Hall of Edoras, methinks.

8. Feb 1, 2012 #7

Evo

How many people would be in a hall like this? Was it only for functions, or did people live there?

9. Feb 1, 2012 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

According to this article by the renowned archeologist Stylegar, he has the following to say about the chieftains' seat at Borg:
    1. It covers roughly 700 square meters
    2. The walls were wooden, but with an outside layer of turf (that would be effective to prevent cold)
    3. The house was divided in 5 sections, the feasting hall and the "cattle-house" for the animals the two biggest. Rooms for normal habitation make up the three others.
    4. The cattle house prbably had about 50 animals' capacity
    5. Down by the sea, remains of boathouses have been found, the largest 26 meters in length.
    6. Several finds of ceramics and so-called "golden goblins" were found in the feasting hall. The gold statuettes is a Scandinavian art product, probably with some cultic significance.
    Also glass ware (ridiculously expensive at that time) was found.
    7. It is the belief that the chieftain's wealth was primarily due to control of the Northern trade, with furs and teeth from walrus being the main articles for export.
    http://snl.no/Borg/høvdingsete_i_Nordland

10. Feb 1, 2012 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From what I've found at other places, the seat was occupied for roughly 450 years, say 500-950 AD.

The reason for the decline is probably due to the growing influence of the Earls at Lade, with their main seat at nowadays Trondheim. During the latter ninth century, the expanded northwards, making vassals of some petty kings, forcing the hand of some others.
    At the same time, in Southern Norway, one sees the amalgamation of the national kingship, traditionally ascribed to Norway's first king, Harold the Fair-Haired.

Many petty chieftains disliked the new times, and several chose a new and independent career as Land Takers on Iceland.

And, the interisting fact is that we have the actual NAME of the last independent chieftain at Borg:
    His name was Olaf Tvennumbruni, and became a major political figure at Iceland in the early tenth century or thereabouts (at least, he is credited with taking "much land" there)

11. Feb 1, 2012 #10
    I think it was that chieftain and his clan who sailed over to my place in their longships and instead of just sitting down for tea and cakes they burned our houses,stole our treasures and were generally a total pain.:grumpy::biggrin:

12. Feb 1, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Oh, sure! ***** and moan about the successful businessmen!

13. Feb 1, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yeah, yeah, and smashed your faces&raped your wives. I know all about it, such tales are STILL favourite yuletide stories for our kids.
    The times of greatness will come again! :devil:

14. Feb 1, 2012 #13
    It's interesting to me that the Vikings, apparently so warlike and adventurous in the olden days, became so extremeley organized and peaceful in modern times. Not that warlikeness and adventurousness are mutually exclusive wrt organizational abilities. Or that I would want to fight a big Norwegian person.

Sorry ... so, that's a really nice hall there. I do hope that they had sufficient insulation between the human and animal quarters. And some sort of ventilation system.

15. Feb 1, 2012 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"Clean as a cattle" was a Viking phrase. It was directed derisively at men regarded as too effeminate and picky about their personal hygiene. Poor cattle.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. Feb 1, 2012 #15
    I don't think you will find the vikings concentrated in just Norway and other Scandinavian countries.They came,they saw and they spread their genes all over the place.Those who returned took back gold,silver and syphillis.

17. Feb 1, 2012 #16

jtbell

When I was in grad school years ago, I once wandered through the Germanic languages department and saw a cartoon on an office door. It showed some very businesslike-looking Vikings sitting in a ship that was starting to sink. One of them stood up and said, "Jeg vil foreslå, att vi nedsetter et udvalg." (something like "I propose that we establish a committee.")

18. Feb 1, 2012 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

They weren't very good at grammar, either. "att" is sweedish, "udvalg" is Danish.
    In Norweed, it is "at" and "utvalg".
    :smile:

19. Feb 1, 2012 #18
    Well, that would seem to be an illustration of why the Vikings didn't make a big impact on comedy ... other than their penchant for marauding, pillaging, etc., that is.

20. Feb 1, 2012 #19

jtbell

You can blame my memory after 30+ years for that, not them. :blushing:

I think I remember now that it was a Danish instructor's office door, so it was probably "at" not "att".

Another Danish joke: You may know about the Danish computer scientist Bjarne Stroustrup, who invented the C++ programming language. On his home page, there is (or was) an FAQ which includes the question "How do you pronounce Bjarne Stroustrup?" Answer: "It can be difficult for non-Danish speakers. [...] The best suggestion I have heard is to say it a few times in Norwegian, then stuff a potato down your throat and try it again."

21. Feb 2, 2012 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We ALWAYS carry a potato sack with us when we visit Copenhagen.
    Otherwise, they can't understand us..

(Actually, that well-known proverb also say that we ought to fill our ears with gravy in order to become truly Danish, but we DO retain some national pride up here)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook