I Think Einstein Had a Crush on Marie Curie

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary, this letter from Einstein to Curie is warm and courteous, and shows his concern for Curie's well-being.
zoobyshoe
Among the new Einstein papers that are online now, there is this letter from Einstein to M. Curie:

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/12/6/7342171/trolls-einstein-curie

The link spins it as advice about trolls, but it is clear to me from Einstein's exceptionally deferential and complimentary tone, his exceptionally protective attitude, and the generally high state of emotion from which he writes, that had a crush on her. He even tries, in a very geeky way, to amuse her in the post script.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must understand hermeneutic analysis. Those attributes were universally expected of a gentleman in civil interaction with a lady.

I think we'd need to compare this with his letters to a lady he almost certainly didn't like.
Was there any correspondence with his mother-in-law from either marriage?

Doug Huffman said:
Those attributes were universally expected of a gentleman in civil interaction with a lady.
Consider, though, this letter was unsolicited, and emerged from an "outrage" he felt compelled to "vent." It strikes me as clearly over-the-top, even considering men's then attitude toward women as "the weaker sex." There's a more than courteous amount of concern shown by him calling her detractors "rabble" and "reptiles." He's worked up in a way I've never seen in his other non-scientific writing.

I don't find anything peculiar with that letter. Einstein simply wished to give his personal support to Curie. And, in order to correctly understand its tone, it should be read in German, and taking into account the customs and the world view of cultivated people of pre-Great War Europe.

NTW said:
I don't find anything peculiar with that letter. Einstein simply wished to give his personal support to Curie. And, in order to correctly understand its tone, it should be read in German, and taking into account the customs and the world view of cultivated people of pre-Great War Europe.
Here's Einstein's birthday note to Tesla, as translated from the German by me:"Very honored Mr. Tesla,

It is with pleasure I learn that you are celebrating your 75th birthday, and that you, as the successful pioneer of the field of high frequency current, have been able to live to see the wonderful developments of this field . I congratulate you on the great success of your life's work.

Albert Einstein"

It's warm, courteous, cultivated. By comparison you should be able to see his letter to M. Curie goes far beyond the pro-forma tone and style of the day and culture.

That makes me think then whether amusing someone means falling for him/her too especially among Westerners ?
I don't actually feel a thing if someone out there accidentally writes me a letter that way. Einstein was being so much polite to her.

Lol that's cute... But if I knew that the person I have a crush on is married and having an extra-marital affair with yet another man, I would be quite upset at my situation (that is, obsessing over a woman I don't have much of a chance with, as well as involving myself with such emotionally destructive predicaments) though outwardly, I may probably still display positivity for the one I have a crush on. But that's just me, and plus I'm a nobody, unlike Einstein.

1) Who are Einstein and Marie Curie?

Einstein and Marie Curie are two of the most well-known and influential scientists of the 20th century. Albert Einstein was a theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity and made groundbreaking contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. Marie Curie was a physicist and chemist who discovered two new elements, polonium and radium, and conducted pioneering research on radioactivity.

2) Did Einstein and Marie Curie know each other?

Yes, Einstein and Marie Curie were contemporaries and knew each other through the scientific community. They both attended the famous Solvay Conferences, where many of the leading scientists of the time gathered to discuss and debate new ideas and discoveries.

3) Was there a romantic relationship between Einstein and Marie Curie?

There is no evidence to suggest that Einstein and Marie Curie had a romantic relationship. They had a mutual respect for each other as scientists and colleagues, but there is no indication of any romantic feelings between them.

4) Why do some people think Einstein had a crush on Marie Curie?

Some people speculate that Einstein may have had a crush on Marie Curie because of his admiration for her intelligence and contributions to science. However, there is no solid evidence to support this claim.

5) What is the significance of Einstein potentially having a crush on Marie Curie?

If Einstein did have a crush on Marie Curie, it would not diminish either of their accomplishments or contributions to science. It would simply be a human element to their relationship and highlight their mutual respect and admiration for each other's work.