Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I was wondering is there a way to connect two rotating cicrcles

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    guys, i'm new here. please forgive if i'm a bit clumsy or act like a fool.

i was wondering how do you connect two rotating cicrcles. specifically, suppose there are two huge spherical disc( torus). there is a distance of, say, 500 m between them. both are rotating at thier indiviual revolutions. my question is: how do you connect them

i don't want them to stop rotating ( minimising friction, of course). i have no idea what method or technolgy would be use for this process.

specifically, i request you to consider this scenario in the light of space settlemnt( stanford torus).

kindly help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Beedle.
    Your description is a bit vague, but it would seem that a simple slip collar would suffice. The tubular axle of one wheel would fit inside (with seals and bearings) the slightly larger axle of the other wheel.
  4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    Danger, thanks for the reply. but i think that you misunderstood my question.

the toruses are lying adjacent( must be connected in a series) to each other; they are not parallel or within each other.i don't want to fit them within each other.

i'm trying to upload a picture from my computer, but i don't know how.

please help.
  5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Do you mean, then, that it would be like two doughnuts lying beside each other on a table?
  6. Nov 13, 2008 #5

moreover, the doughnuts are colossal (say, radius 500m), the distance between them is 100m and they are stationed in space.
  7. Nov 13, 2008 #6
    Do you want a rigid connection or flexible one?What are the desired degrees of freedom?
  8. Nov 15, 2008 #7
    i think it should be rigid. basically, the connection should not hinder the rotations of the disc and allow to them to rotate simultaenously; while keeping them in place.
  9. Nov 17, 2008 #8

Gold Member

The most appropriate thing that I can think of would be to use a '[' shaped connector with one of the aforementioned slip-collars on each leg to mount the wheels. If I recall Gerry O'Neill's L-5 proposal correctly ('The High Frontier'), a hollow triangular beam would be sufficient for both strength and rigidity.
  10. Jan 3, 2009 #9
    guys thanks for your help, the situtation has been resolved. so mod can you close this thread?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?