Ice cream & yogurt matrices problem

In summary: DIn summary, we represented the prices of ice cream and yogurt at two different stores, A and B, in a matrix of order 2*2. We then multiplied this matrix with another matrix representing the required amounts of ice cream and yogurt for a certain function. The resulting matrix showed that it is more advantageous to buy from store A.
mathlearn
The price of a tub of ice cream and a tub of yoghurt respectively at store A and store B are given below.
Store A ( 40 , 30)
Store B ( 38 , 35)

(i) Represent the above information in a matrix of order 2 * 2, such that the columns denote the stores.

(ii) 20 tubs of ice cream and 30 tubs of yoghurt are required for a certain function. Represent these amounts by a matrix of order 1 * 2 and obtain the product of the two matrices.

(iii) By considering this product, write down with reasons, the store from which it is more advantageous to buy 20 tubs of ice cream and 30 tubs of yogurt.

So Depicting them in column matrices

i.$A=\begin{bmatrix}
40&30\\
38&35\end{bmatrix}$

ii.$B=\begin{bmatrix}
20&30\\
\end{bmatrix}$

Help me to do III and tell me whether the rest is correctly done?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
The price of a tub of ice cream and a tub of yoghurt respectively at store A and store B are given below.
Store A ( 40 , 30)
Store B ( 38 , 35)

(i) Represent the above information in a matrix of order 2 * 2, such that the columns denote the stores.

(ii) 20 tubs of ice cream and 30 tubs of yoghurt are required for a certain function. Represent these amounts by a matrix of order 1 * 2 and obtain the product of the two matrices.

(iii) By considering this product, write down with reasons, the store from which it is more advantageous to buy 20 tubs of ice cream and 30 tubs of yogurt.

So Depicting them in column matrices

i.$A=\begin{bmatrix}
40&30\\
38&35\end{bmatrix}$

ii.$B=\begin{bmatrix}
20&30\\
\end{bmatrix}$

Help me to do III and tell me whether the rest is correctly done?

I think i. should be,

$A=\begin{bmatrix}
40&38\\
30&35\end{bmatrix}$

In this way, column 1 represents store A, which stocks yogurt and ice cream at 40 and 30 units respectively. And likewise for column 2...

Btw i can't reply to your PM because your inbox is full!

Joppy said:
I think i. should be,

$A=\begin{bmatrix}
40&38\\
30&35\end{bmatrix}$

In this way, column 1 represents store A, which stocks yogurt and ice cream at 40 and 30 units respectively. And likewise for column 2...

Yes I think you're very correct :) & I need help for Question II & III .

mathlearn said:

Joppy said:
Btw i can't reply to your PM because your inbox is full!

:) I think you should consider exporting the messages and deleting a folder

Many Thanks :)

Let's answer ii. and iii. at the same time. The function requires 30 tubs of yogurt and 20 tubs of ice cream (yum..). We know what the prices for these products are at both shops A and B.

I encourage you to think about how you would solve this problem without the use of matrices as it may come more natural.

$ \begin{bmatrix} 20&30\ \end{bmatrix} * \begin{bmatrix}
40&38\\
30&35\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}
(20*40 + 30 * 30)&(20 * 38 + 30 * 35)\\
\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1700&1810\ \end{bmatrix}$

Do you know why we can multiply these two matrices together? Can you think of a case when we could not?

This settles part ii. i think, and for iii., we can easily see that the more 'advantageous' supermarket to shop from (for this order) would be shop A. This is because 1700 < 1810, where 1700 units is the price it would cost for 20 ice creams and 30 yogurts at shop A.

Hope this helps! If something doesn't make sense or i made a mistake, let me know :).

You're explained it perfectly :), I think you deserve an ice cream or a yogurt

View attachment 5908

Thank you very much :) Joppy

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 57
mathlearn said:
:) I think you should consider exporting the messages and deleting a folder

Many Thanks :)

Hahaha what! It's your inbox that needs emptying!

What is the "Ice cream & yogurt matrices problem"?

The "Ice cream & yogurt matrices problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal distribution of ice cream and yogurt flavors in a given number of containers, taking into account flavor preferences and dietary restrictions of a group of people.

What is the purpose of this problem?

The purpose of this problem is to find an efficient and fair way to distribute a limited amount of ice cream and yogurt among a group of people with different flavor preferences and dietary restrictions.

What factors are considered in solving this problem?

In solving the "Ice cream & yogurt matrices problem", factors such as the number of containers available, the number of people with different flavor preferences and dietary restrictions, and the amount of each flavor available are taken into consideration.

How is this problem solved?

This problem is solved using mathematical techniques such as matrix operations, linear programming, and optimization algorithms. These methods help to find the optimal distribution of flavors that satisfies all the given constraints.

Why is this problem important?

This problem has practical applications in real-life situations, such as catering for a group of people with different dietary needs, or optimizing resources in a food distribution system. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.