Identifying anaphase and prophase stages in cell photomicrographs

  • Topic: Biology 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AN630078
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
AN630078
Messages
242
Reaction score
25
Homework Statement
Hello, I have a question specifically regarding a photomicrograph of two cells in the process of mitosis. I have answered both questions but I am rather stumbling on the second question and would appreciate any opinions on this matter. I having been endeavouring to better identify the stages of mitosis and meiosis from photomicrographs which is why I am using this question for revision purposes but I am uncertain in my evaluation.

Question 1: State the stage of mitosis shown by the bottom cell of the two, explain your choice.

Question 2; State the stage of meiosis shown by the top cell of the two. Explain your choice and describe why this is not a typical view of the stage in question.


Sorry I am rather struggling here and would be very grateful of any help 👍
Relevant Equations
Mitosis
Question 1:
I believe that the cell is in anaphase, as the spindle fibres attached to the centromeres of the chromosomes shorten the chromatids are pulled to the opposite poles of the spindle which is visible in the photomicrograph.

Question 2;

I believe the top cell is on prophase, since the chromosomes increasingly shorten and thicken by supercoiling and condense to become visible. During this phase, spindle fibres emerge from the centrosomes, the nuclear envelope breaks down and the nucleolus disappears also.

I am not sure why this is not a typical view of the stage in question, would it be because the chromosomes are rather bundled together or perhaps is it in relation to the nuclear envelope?
 
Attachments
  • Photomicrograph.png
    Photomicrograph.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 286
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct. Sometimes getting the cells in perfect unaltered shape under the microscope does not happen. The pressure of a cover plate can do funny things to living cells, like squish them a little. I've seen anaphase cells in laboratory grade commercial allium root tip slides that looked weird. Metaphase, telophase too. Lots of other things as well.

To actually answer why:
We would need to know more about how the specimen was mounted and or stained. Hanging drop is hard to focus on living cells but does the least damage to them
 
jim mcnamara said:
Your answers are correct. Sometimes getting the cells in perfect unaltered shape under the microscope does not happen. The pressure of a cover plate can do funny things to living cells, like squish them a little. I've seen anaphase cells in laboratory grade commercial allium root tip slides that looked weird. Metaphase, telophase too. Lots of other things as well.

To actually answer why:
We would need to know more about how the specimen was mounted and or stained. Hanging drop is hard to focus on living cells but does the least damage to them

Wow, thank you so much for your reply I truly appreciate it, I had really been stuck here. Of course, I had not considered over zealous pressure applied to the slides or lateral movement causing them to distort or rupture. Thank you very much again, your insight and reply was very interesting 👍😄