Which is the strongest base among NH2-, OH-, Cl-, NH3, and I-?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sandman327
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Base
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
Sandman327
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Which of the following species is the strongest base?
A. NH2-
B. OH-
C. Cl-
D. NH3
E. I-


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Ok I know that Cl- is a very weak base so I know it is not that one for sure. I want to say that the answer is NH2- because it is the most likely to receive a proton as compared to the others but can someone please let me know if my thought process is right here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you determine that NH2- was more likely to receive a proton than OH-?

I assume that NH2- is actually NH2- ?