If every event is governed by one or more laws

• Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the big bang did not occur without time and laws. The energy/matter that we know existed prior to the big bang was governed by laws and the big bang was an allowed event that spontaneously produced these laws from the Field of energy.
iDimension
Please help me to understand how this is possible. If time is required for an event to occur and every event is governed by one or more laws, then how can the big bang occur without time and without laws? Dr Lawrence Krauss mentions that when all that exists is nothing (I know this is self-contradictory), then anything can happen as there are no laws to determine what is allowed and what isn't.

Since we have laws now, we know that nothing can travel faster than light, but if there are no laws in place then anything can go faster than light, infinitely fast infact. Would it even be too much to say that in a universe with zero laws even 1+1 is undefined?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Laws of physics breaks down within singularities.

Please help me to understand how this is possible. If time is required for an event to occur and every event is governed by one or more laws, then how can the big bang occur without time and without laws?

The short answer is we don't know exactly what happened at the big bang. We only have theories supported by some evidence that strongly suggest a big bang occurred. Our best theories only predict what might have happened "soon" after the big bang. How soon is debatable.

Some theories suggest a big bounce as a possible way around the sort of problems you raise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce

I don't pretend to understand them!

CWatters said:
The short answer is we don't know exactly what happened at the big bang. We only have theories supported by some evidence that strongly suggest a big bang occurred. Our best theories only predict what might have happened "soon" after the big bang. How soon is debatable.

Some theories suggest a big bounce as a possible way around the sort of problems you raise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce

I don't pretend to understand them!

I really enjoy reading about the cyclic model but I think science is not paying it much attention at the moment because our universe doesn't look like it will ever collapse? I quite like the idea of the universe (energy, laws and time) having always existed in one form or another. Sure our universe came into existence but that doesn't mean that before our universe, there wasn't a previous one.

I can imagine a system whereby the energy, time and laws were never created in the first place, because they always existed... Quite a tough thing to wrap our brains around, something having always existed and always will, for infinity.

I have a real problem with Dr. Lawrence Krauss's theory - it is how you deal with "nothing". Dr. Krauss and others believe that "nothing" is capable of action: for example - the belief that anything can happen when you have nothing. This is false. "Nothing" is ONLY capable of doing nothing! Zero energy can do nothing! The contradiction gets buried behind big words in hopes everyone will forget - but it is still there.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/70645The Big Bang did not burp forth from the empty belly of nothing. Energy/matter existed prior to the Big Bang. There existed a "Field" of energy. A Big Bang Event is just a shift in the types of matter allowed by "The Field". There were laws prior to the Big Bang as well. The Michelson-Morely experiments of the early 19th century gave us "zero energy space". Most physicist take it for granted that flat space (zero energy) is a given truth. If they really take a look at how flimsy those experiments were - outdated and grossly inadequate - they would throw that model away. Science will have a dilemma soon - how do you marry flat space to a Higgs field? If space is empty, why is there a field of energy in there? It will be time for a divorce..

To answer your question: the universe as we know it does not contain infinite possibilities. It is governed by sets of laws. These laws have always existed (The Field has always existed). The Big Bang is just an allowed event spontaneously produced from The Field. "Nothing" does not exist - zero energy does not exist nor could you create it. If the energy of the universe is conserved - then the only thing that can exist is energy! So before the Big Bang you did not have chaotic flux where anything happens and laws get thrown away for the Wild West.

diggnforgold said:
Energy/matter existed prior to the Big Bang.

While I perfectly understand your concerns about nothing being not capable of doing anything, your answer is not better - "always existed" just sweeps the question "where did it come from" under the rug and pretends it never existed.

What I am really saying is I am not satisfied with neither answer. Not that it makes me in any way special.

Diggn, while I also have issues with the idea that nothing existed prior to the big bang, I have serious reservations about your post. It just looks like you've spouted a bunch of stuff without really understanding any of the concepts regarding space, fields, the Michelson-Morely experiment, etc.

1. What does it mean for every event to be governed by laws?

It means that there are specific rules or principles that dictate how events occur and behave in the natural world. These laws are based on observations and experiments and are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of the physical world.

2. How are these laws determined?

These laws are determined through scientific research and experimentation. Scientists use the scientific method to make observations, form hypotheses, and conduct experiments to test their hypotheses. The results of these experiments help to determine the laws that govern different events.

3. Are there different types of laws that govern events?

Yes, there are various types of laws that govern events in different fields of science. For example, there are laws of motion in physics, laws of genetics in biology, and laws of thermodynamics in chemistry. These laws are specific to their respective fields but are all interconnected and based on fundamental principles.

4. Can these laws change over time?

Yes, laws can change over time as our understanding of the natural world evolves. As new evidence is discovered through scientific research, existing laws may be modified or new laws may be established to better explain and predict events. However, the fundamental principles behind these laws remain constant.

5. How do these laws impact our daily lives?

These laws impact our daily lives in countless ways, from the technology we use to the food we eat. They help us understand how our world works and allow us to make predictions and advancements in various fields. For example, the laws of gravity and motion allow us to build bridges and cars, while the laws of genetics help us understand and treat diseases. Ultimately, these laws play a crucial role in shaping our understanding and development as a society.