If Ouamuamua were a propelled lightsail, wouldn't we have detected it?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
swampwiz
Messages
567
Reaction score
83
(Yes, I know how folks here like to say that I shouldn't read pop science articles because it's not correct.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/26/books/review/extraterrestrial-avi-loeb.html
... Loeb argues that it is no more preposterous to suppose that Oumuamua was a lightsail, a thin material that gets its propulsive boost from sunlight or starlight, either launched in our direction or anchored like a buoy in space, where we ran into it on our planet’s travel around the galaxy.

So if this were a lightsail, wouldn't we be able to detect the light propelling it?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
So if this were a lightsail, wouldn't we be able to detect the light propelling it?

Yes, we are - even with the naked eye. It's the light of the Sun.
 
No, I meant the laser coming from Vega, or wherever it came from.
 
swampwiz said:
No, I meant the laser coming from Vega, or wherever it came from.

Considering the speed of Oumuamua there is no reason to assume artificial acceleration. Even if it would have been accelerated with a laser, that would be a very long time ago. In any case there is nothing to see.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and PeroK
Oumuamua propelled by laser is mentioned nowhere in the article.
gets its propulsive boost from sunlight or starlight,
 
swampwiz said:
Yes, I know how folks here like to say that I shouldn't read pop science articles because it's not correct.

I don't think anyone said that. What they did say is that you need to manage your expectations on what these articles are.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, DrStupid, russ_watters and 1 other person