If Ouamuamua were a propelled lightsail, wouldn't we have detected it?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
In summary, Loeb argues that it is no more preposterous to suppose that Oumuamua was a lightsail, a thin material that gets its propulsive boost from sunlight or starlight, either launched in our direction or anchored like a buoy in space, where we ran into it on our planet’s travel around the galaxy.
swampwiz
(Yes, I know how folks here like to say that I shouldn't read pop science articles because it's not correct.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/26/books/review/extraterrestrial-avi-loeb.html
... Loeb argues that it is no more preposterous to suppose that Oumuamua was a lightsail, a thin material that gets its propulsive boost from sunlight or starlight, either launched in our direction or anchored like a buoy in space, where we ran into it on our planet’s travel around the galaxy.

So if this were a lightsail, wouldn't we be able to detect the light propelling it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
So if this were a lightsail, wouldn't we be able to detect the light propelling it?

Yes, we are - even with the naked eye. It's the light of the Sun.

swampwiz said:
(Yes, I know how folks here like to say that I shouldn't read pop science articles because it's not correct.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/26/books/review/extraterrestrial-avi-loeb.htmlSo if this were a lightsail, wouldn't we be able to detect the light propelling it?

This hypothesis is just a speculation, so we probably cannot comment it here. But to your question, we do detect the sunlight, of course.

No, I meant the laser coming from Vega, or wherever it came from.

swampwiz said:
No, I meant the laser coming from Vega, or wherever it came from.

Considering the speed of Oumuamua there is no reason to assume artificial acceleration. Even if it would have been accelerated with a laser, that would be a very long time ago. In any case there is nothing to see.

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
Oumuamua propelled by laser is mentioned nowhere in the article.
gets its propulsive boost from sunlight or starlight,

swampwiz said:
Yes, I know how folks here like to say that I shouldn't read pop science articles because it's not correct.

I don't think anyone said that. What they did say is that you need to manage your expectations on what these articles are.

Likes Klystron, DrStupid, russ_watters and 1 other person

1. What is Ouamuamua?

Ouamuamua is a mysterious interstellar object that was first detected by astronomers in 2017. It is believed to be the first object from outside our solar system to enter our solar system.

2. What is a propelled lightsail?

A propelled lightsail is a theoretical spacecraft propulsion system that uses a large reflective sail to harness the momentum of photons from a nearby star or other light source. This allows for high speeds and long-distance travel without the need for traditional fuel.

3. How would we have detected Ouamuamua if it were a propelled lightsail?

If Ouamuamua were a propelled lightsail, we would have detected it through various methods such as its trajectory, speed, and light reflection. We would also have been able to observe changes in its trajectory due to the propulsion system.

4. Why do some scientists believe Ouamuamua could be a propelled lightsail?

Some scientists believe that Ouamuamua could be a propelled lightsail due to its unusual shape, size, and trajectory. It also exhibited unexpected acceleration, which could be explained by a propulsion system.

5. What evidence do we have to support the theory that Ouamuamua is a propelled lightsail?

Currently, we do not have any concrete evidence to support the theory that Ouamuamua is a propelled lightsail. However, ongoing studies and observations may provide more clues and evidence in the future.