If the universe is infinite or repeats, can "I" exist again?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter moonglow500
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinite Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
moonglow500
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Can the atoms that make up me come together again given enough time and create "me" again? Is it possible for the consciousness that I currently experience to ever exist again after my death?
If the universe is either infinite, or it repeats, then I would assume that it would be possible for my atoms to come together again at some incomprehensibly long amount of time after my death. If this were the case, would my consciousness that I am currently experiencing now ever exist again, or would it be like a clone? Also, if said clones life repeated exactly as mine is now with no differences at all, would it still be a clone's consciousness experiencing the new life, or would it actually be me since everything would be the same? The thought that I could possibly exist again at any point in the future with my current consciousness terrifies me, even though I would have no knowledge of having previously existed.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you think of an experiment to test this? If not, this isn't science.