Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you own a can sure deorderant

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...CFGGAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2006/06/01/ndeo01.xml
    Use with caution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2
    Yes, compressed, flammable gases in metal cylinders do tend to explode when heated. Astonishing isn't it.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This sounds like a job for Mythbusters!

5. Jun 1, 2006 #4
    I would LOVE to see this on video. It would seriously make my week.

6. Jun 1, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. Yes, a can of compressed gas would explode, and would do a fair bit of damage, and certainly the acceleration of the fire would have led to even worse damage, but I find it a bit hard to believe that the explosion of a can of deodorant would have enough force to lift the roof off of a house. A cracked wall, okay, especially if the can was close to the wall, but to have enough upward force to lift an entire roof...I'm not convinced.

7. Jun 1, 2006 #6
    It had to have been a chain reaction. Maybe the can started it, but then the stove itself went up or something.

8. Jun 1, 2006 #7
    "Electric cooker" does that mean oven? Why did he have his clothes on top of the oven?

9. Jun 1, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Sounds like an electric stove.

2) Because he's 18, his parents were out of town, and he was preoccupied thinking about the friends he was going to meet up with.

10. Jun 1, 2006 #9

dav2008

Gold Member

Or the dryer was broken

11. Jun 1, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I can't believe one can of deodorant could do that much damage in a house. It can be bad inside a car with all the windows rolled up.

Anyone ever cook eggs in an aluminum pan on high heat for 6 hours?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  12. Jun 1, 2006 #11
    This newspaper is full of BS and bad reporting. Sighhhhhhhhhh............

13. Jun 1, 2006 #12
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    I thought that was the defintion of the Newspaper.

14. Jun 1, 2006 #13

dav2008

Gold Member

I see what you did there.

15. Jun 1, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure tribdog has!

16. Jun 3, 2006 #15
    "And that caused a can of Sure deodorant to explode with such force that it not only blew out windows but cracked a wall and even, briefly, lifted the roof off the bungalow."

Ah, now that finally explains what happened to the Twin Towers. I'd bet every office had a least one can!

17. Jun 3, 2006 #16
    Just joking, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?