Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'll bet you a million pennies this is the stupidest thing you've ever heard!

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    http://www.cfrb.com/news/565/600403/makes+no+%27cents%27
    http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20071005/penny_pic_071005/20071005?hub=TorontoHome

that's right. your eyes are not lying. you are not hallucinating. the Mint copyrighted the image of the canadian cent and the words "one cent" back in the 40's. now they are suing the government for using the image and name of the coin.

in other words, the Canadian government it suing itself for using an image it itself copyrighted... with my money.

no matter how many ways I say it, I can't make it sound less idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry Moe, but given the content of your post, I had to delete the photo you posted to avoid copyright infringement. The irony of it has not gone unnoticed. :biggrin:

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    I thought the US was the only place where politicians played politics. Or as Kinky Friedman says: polyticks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  5. Oct 5, 2007 #4
    :rofl: LMAO!!!

6. Oct 5, 2007 #5
    :rofl: :wink:

7. Oct 5, 2007 #6
    LOL!

I want to know who made the decision to sue at the Mint. I want a picture so I can point at it and laugh some more.

Maybe the city should have stuck an actual penny on their ads. It might have been cheaper than printing one.

8. Oct 5, 2007 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem, since to have copyright they are obviously art works - the city of Toronto just has to charge the mint GST on any pennies bought or sold in the City.

9. Oct 6, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This reminds me of that Coke Zero commercial, where the Coke department managers want to sue managers of the Coke Zero department for "taste infringment."

10. Oct 6, 2007 #9

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It's very possible that the Canadian government doesn't print the money. Example: the US Federal Reserve, which prints American money, is a private company.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?