• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Importance of GPA vs specific grades

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm in the UK system and will probably graduate with a high 2:1, missing out on a First Class Honours due to mediocre grades in my early years due to burnout and lack of interest. However, the grades in the areas I'm interested in are quite good - high first class honours grades in each one, and my overall grades for this years classes have been excellent.

Is the fact that my average grade isn't particularly stellar likely to be a problem when applying for Masters and PhD programs? I also have a strong letter of recommendation from a well-known and respected figure in the field.

Answers and Replies

I'm in the UK system and will probably graduate with a high 2:1, missing out on a First Class Honours due to mediocre grades in my early years due to burnout and lack of interest. However, the grades in the areas I'm interested in are quite good - high first class honours grades in each one, and my overall grades for this years classes have been excellent.

Is the fact that my average grade isn't particularly stellar likely to be a problem when applying for Masters and PhD programs? I also have a strong letter of recommendation from a well-known and respected figure in the field.
That recommendation will hold a lot more weight then grades along with potentially any research you have done.