Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In the news: Wikipedia and the Pro Wrestler story

1. Jun 28, 2007 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287194,00.html

"Web Time Stamps Indicate Nancy Benoit's Death Reported on Web at Least 13 Hours Before Police Found Bodies in Her Home"

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chris_Benoit&oldid=141250251
    near the bottom:

"On June 28, FOXNews.com reported that news of Nancy Daus' death was posted on Wikipedia half a day before the police discovered the bodies. The phrase "stemming from the death of his wife Nancy" was added to the English Wikipedia's "Chris Benoit" article at 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 25,[104] whereas the Fayette County police reportedly discovered the bodies of the Benoit family at 2:30 p.m. EDT (14 hours, 29 minutes later). The IP address of the editor was traced to Stamford, Connecticut, which is also the location of WWE headquarters.[105]"

[added]
    Here is the diff between two edits under discussion
    en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chris_Benoit&diff=prev&oldid=140442953

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2007 #2
    maybe benoit edited wikipedia in his spare time?

4. Jun 28, 2007 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Adding a date & details of death to a still living person's article seems to be a fairly common form of wiki-vandalism. I know this isn't quite the same thing, but I wouldn't rule out something like that with the timing being mere coincidence.

5. Jun 28, 2007 #4
    thats pretty a pretty specific coincedence there

6. Jun 28, 2007 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Yup. I'm just saying don't rule it out...

7. Jun 28, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And for some reason we can't trust the information on wikipedia....I wonder why....:uhh:

These people that do this wiki-vandalism, if they do exist, need to get a real life.

8. Jun 28, 2007 #7
    Well, at least they give me something to do on Wikipedia, as I, armed with my mighty wired mouse (with a mouseball) and my callulosed finger, take on the onslaught of the vandals.

9. Jun 28, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ahhh fighting the good fight I see!! Personally I stay hear and try my best to help fend off the onslaught of crackpot ads.(I have an optical mouse though, I'm obviously not as hardcore as you...:biggrin:)

10. Jun 28, 2007 #9
    That is pretty interesting. That would be one hell of a coincidence if it was just some random vandalism, but still possible.

11. Jun 28, 2007 #10
    is the date and time as recorded on the central wikipedia server? or is it a user date... if the person was form a different time zone, their computer might have recorded an earlier hour. or the person might have changed the time on their computer or something.

12. Jun 28, 2007 #11
    I recall reading somewhere that the time zone is Universal Standard Time (Greenwich?).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  13. Jun 28, 2007 #12
    I would think not. It would only make sense to use Wikipedia's internal clock to track revisions. What you suggested would mean the story probably shouldn't be any big deal. Didn't the president of Wikipedia speak on this?

14. Jun 28, 2007 #13
    How can you kill your own wife and child. Thats pretty disgusting and heartless.

15. Jun 29, 2007 #14
    Supposedly the person that did it came forward and said it was just a coincidence... According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit#Wikipedia_controversy

and

http://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?..._to_body_being_found&diff=449245&oldid=449236

blah blah blah

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  16. Jun 29, 2007 #15
    Wow, what a weird story.

17. Jun 29, 2007 #16
    Looks like matthyaouw was right all along, a crazy coincidence indeed. (maybe he is the one who edited it :surprised)

18. Jun 29, 2007 #17

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I woulda got away with it too if it weren't for you pesky kids!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?