1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses In your experience, is E+M harder than dynamics?

1. Mar 20, 2017 #1
    Just curious on what everyone considers to be the harder calculus-based class in college.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2
    They're about the same in terms of mathematical difficulty; E&M might have some specialized topics that are more conceptually difficult than those in Dynamics but the opposite can also be true.

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3
    I found junior / senior level EM and graduate EM much harder than respective courses in classical dynamics. I found Freshman Sophomore EM only slightly more difficult than mechanics.

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4
    I agree with mpresic. I found dynamics to be far easier than 300 level E+M. Of course, having a strong understanding of multivariable vector calculus before heading into either class can mitigate the difficulty.

6. Mar 22, 2017 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In the less advanced two courses or the Fundamental courses of Mechanics and of Electricity & Magnetism for the science and engineering students, the calc based ones, ....
    Absolutely without any doubt, the E & M course was far more difficult and confusing compared to the fundamental mechanics course.

7. Mar 22, 2017 #6
    I had an easier time with E&M (Griffiths) than with Mechanics (Taylor)...

...I had not even begun a differential equations course during my Mechanics semester, and was taking multivariable calculus with it, whereas both maths were in my repertoire for E&M. All things being equal? E&M would have probably been a hair more difficult, but based on my circumstance it wasn't close, in the other direction.

8. Mar 22, 2017 #7
    In my experience classical mechanics were way easier both in freshman and upper-division classes. Upperdivision E&M I was the only course in physics I didn't get an A in :(.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted