In your experience, is E+M harder than dynamics?

In summary, there is a debate over which calculus-based class is harder in college. Some argue that E&M is more difficult due to specialized topics and conceptual difficulties, while others believe that dynamics is easier. However, many students agree that junior/senior level E&M and graduate E&M are more challenging than their respective mechanics courses. It is also noted that having a strong understanding of multivariable vector calculus can mitigate the difficulty of either class. Ultimately, opinions vary but the general consensus is that E&M is the tougher course.
Eclair_de_XII
Just curious on what everyone considers to be the harder calculus-based class in college.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
Just curious on what everyone considers to be the harder calculus-based class in college.

They're about the same in terms of mathematical difficulty; E&M might have some specialized topics that are more conceptually difficult than those in Dynamics but the opposite can also be true.

I found junior / senior level EM and graduate EM much harder than respective courses in classical dynamics. I found Freshman Sophomore EM only slightly more difficult than mechanics.

I agree with mpresic. I found dynamics to be far easier than 300 level E+M. Of course, having a strong understanding of multivariable vector calculus before heading into either class can mitigate the difficulty.

In the less advanced two courses or the Fundamental courses of Mechanics and of Electricity & Magnetism for the science and engineering students, the calc based ones, ...
Absolutely without any doubt, the E & M course was far more difficult and confusing compared to the fundamental mechanics course.

I had an easier time with E&M (Griffiths) than with Mechanics (Taylor)...

...I had not even begun a differential equations course during my Mechanics semester, and was taking multivariable calculus with it, whereas both maths were in my repertoire for E&M. All things being equal? E&M would have probably been a hair more difficult, but based on my circumstance it wasn't close, in the other direction.

In my experience classical mechanics were way easier both in freshman and upper-division classes. Upperdivision E&M I was the only course in physics I didn't get an A in :(.

1. Is Electromagnetism (E+M) more difficult than Dynamics?

There is no definite answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual's understanding and interest in the subject. Some may find E+M more challenging due to its abstract concepts and mathematical complexity, while others may find Dynamics more difficult due to its application of calculus and real-world problems.

2. What makes E+M more challenging than Dynamics?

E+M deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, which are not directly observable in our everyday lives. This requires a deeper understanding of abstract concepts and the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as vector calculus. In comparison, Dynamics deals with the study of motion and forces in the physical world, which may be easier for some individuals to visualize and understand.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding E+M and Dynamics?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus, especially vector calculus, is essential for understanding both E+M and Dynamics. Additionally, a good understanding of basic physics concepts such as forces, motion, and energy is necessary for grasping the more advanced topics in both subjects.

4. Which subject should I take first: E+M or Dynamics?

The order of taking these two subjects ultimately depends on the individual's academic program and personal preference. Some universities may have specific prerequisites or recommend taking one before the other. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best sequence for your specific academic goals.

5. Can one subject be easier than the other depending on the instructor?

Yes, the difficulty level of a subject can vary based on the instructor's teaching style and their ability to explain complex concepts effectively. It is important to have a good rapport with your instructor and seek help if you are struggling to understand the material. Additionally, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups can also help in understanding the subject better.