Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increase torque and speed simultaneously.

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone!

I have an invention that I filed for a patent through PCT (WIPO) and about to enter national phase. The main idea of the invention is to "Simultaneously increase torque and speed in a gear train.

As far as I know, torque and speed are inversely proportional to one another (in a gear train). However, my invention bypasses the conventional way of acceleration or decsalaration, let's say, in auto transmission, and increases torque and speed simultaneously.

Since slow speed is neseccary for smooth start of a vehicle, what do you think my invention can be applied for? I mean gaining both speed and torque in a transmission.

Would appreciate your comments and ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have you built a functional prototype of this device? It sound like it should violate conservation of energy. And fyi, we don't discuss perpetual motion machines here, just real science, so if we determine that that's what this is about, we'll lock/delete the thread.

4. Nov 18, 2014 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you increase both torque and speed, it means that your output power is greater than your input power. So you need a power source within your transmission to accomplish that.

5. Nov 18, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

What exactly do you mean with speed? Some linear speed, or angular velocity?

6. Nov 18, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That's exactly the point of a transmission in the first place, but they absolutely cannot be done at the same time. That's why shifters were invented.

7. Nov 18, 2014 #6
    Gaining linear speed and angular velocity at the same time.

8. Nov 18, 2014 #7
    I agree, it can NOT be donen in a conventional gear train using different gear ratios. Mine is different, not using conventional method.

9. Nov 18, 2014 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Unless you're going to share your blueprints and experimental data, I can't believe that you've done it.

10. Nov 18, 2014 #9
    I did, by the end of this week I'm expecting International search report and experts opinion from searching agency. Of course I admit there is loss of energy through friction and bearings, I don't want to discuss PM either. But I curious as to what purposes it can be abblied for.

11. Nov 18, 2014 #10
    I do want to share blueprints to validate it in the scientific community, but where to apply?! Maybe some research institutes. What would you advise?

12. Nov 18, 2014 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I meant to share them here, so we have some idea of what the hell you're talking about. As it is, you make no sense.

13. Nov 18, 2014 #12
    Maybe I will, but not now, since I want have it tested by an official testing group wherever it is from and then post in it here. As for now, I can post here experts opinion from European patent office.

14. Nov 18, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Then please do so.

15. Dec 12, 2015 #14
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  16. Dec 12, 2015 #15

mfb

2016 Award

If you design the wheel diameters to increase the speed, you reduce the torque. The device does not work as claimed, and we do not discuss perpetual motion here because it does not exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook