Increasing the mass of the moon (via pancake theory)

In summary, an asteroid could potentially enter Earth's orbit and increase the moon's mass so that the Earth would become locked in a month long day/night cycle. This is a plausible scenario, but it would require an asteroid to fall into Earth's orbit and collide with the moon. Other scenarios that could cause the Earth to spin slowly are not plausible.
Princedragon
Hello, I am an architect at UCL london and am currently looking at a hypothetical scene whereby the length of a day could be increased to something at least over a month (i.e. the Earth would be spinning so slowly that it would be in contact with the sun for 30 days and darkness for 30 days).
I am trying to see what it would be like to spatially and architecturally live in a nomadic fashion, whereby people would need to constantly follow the sun.

I have also given myself a 250 million year deadline (by the way), when the tectonic plates collide to form Pangaea Ultima.

In order for the moon to effect the spin of the Earth in such a way, I realize that the mass of the moon would have to increase.

What I would like to suggest is that over the course of 250 million years an asteroid could fall into Earth's orbit and travel at such a slow speed that it would collide with the moon in pancake fashion, thereby increasing its mass to allow for the scenario to occur...

[PLAIN]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/6987/63graphichowasecondmoon.gif

My question is, is my scenario in any way plausible? Could this actually in a very rare circumstance occur?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
One problem is that everyone would die in stage 1, so couldn't live in nomadic fashion... perhaps they could re-evolve.

I don't think you need the moon to change as the Earth isn't spinning due to the moon, the initial impact might be sufficient to change the Earth's spin to a slower one that is a month long.

One problem is that everyone would die in stage 1

Thanks for the reply. The thing is I don't need or want stage 1 to occur. I want stage 2 and onwards to occur, whereby an asteroid comes into our orbit and is absorbed by the moon. Nothing ever hits the earth.

If there are any other ways in which the Earth could start spinning slower I would also love to hear them btw

Princedragon said:
Hello, I am an architect at UCL london and am currently looking at a hypothetical scene whereby the length of a day could be increased to something at least over a month (i.e. the Earth would be spinning so slowly that it would be in contact with the sun for 30 days and darkness for 30 days).
I am trying to see what it would be like to spatially and architecturally live in a nomadic fashion, whereby people would need to constantly follow the sun.

I have also given myself a 250 million year deadline (by the way), when the tectonic plates collide to form Pangaea Ultima.

In order for the moon to effect the spin of the Earth in such a way, I realize that the mass of the moon would have to increase.

What I would like to suggest is that over the course of 250 million years an asteroid could fall into Earth's orbit and travel at such a slow speed that it would collide with the moon in pancake fashion, thereby increasing its mass to allow for the scenario to occur...

My question is, is my scenario in any way plausible? Could this actually in a very rare circumstance occur?

Here's the problem. the increase in mass that the moon would have to undergo in order for it to be able to tidally lock the Earth to it in the time scale you want is several times the moon's present mass. Probably by about 5 to 6 times.

Here's the problem. the increase in mass that the moon would have to undergo in order for it to be able to tidally lock the Earth to it in the time scale you want is several times the moon's present mass. Probably by about 5 to 6 times.

Very interesting, thanks a lot, especially for the estimated increase in size.

On a different note/perspective, could any other scenario cause the Earth to spin as slowly as required? (30 days sunlight, 30 days darkness)? Thanks

1. How does the "pancake theory" propose to increase the mass of the moon?

The "pancake theory" suggests that over time, small objects such as asteroids or comets can collide with the moon and add mass to it. These collisions would flatten the moon's shape, giving it a pancake-like appearance.

2. Will increasing the mass of the moon affect its orbit around Earth?

Yes, increasing the mass of the moon would also affect its orbit around Earth. This is because the moon's orbit is determined by its mass and the gravitational pull of Earth. An increase in mass would result in a slightly altered orbit.

3. Can the "pancake theory" be proven?

The "pancake theory" is just one of several theories that attempt to explain the formation of the moon's shape and its current mass. While there is evidence to support this theory, it has not been definitively proven.

4. How long would it take for the moon's mass to significantly increase through the "pancake theory"?

The rate at which the moon's mass would increase through the "pancake theory" would depend on how often collisions with small objects occur. It is difficult to determine an exact timeline, but it is estimated that it would take millions of years for a noticeable increase in mass.

5. Would increasing the mass of the moon have any impact on Earth?

Increasing the mass of the moon would not have a direct impact on Earth. However, it could potentially affect the moon's orbit and cause changes to tides and other natural phenomena that are influenced by the moon's gravitational pull.