Incurring hysteresis between protons in nuclei only....

In summary: If you compare the reactions:e-+γ→μ-+νe+νμandp+γ→Δ+Δ+→p+π°Δ+→n+π+The reactions that involve electrons have a lower cross-section than the reactions that involve protons. This is because protons have a resonant frequency, and as the EM waves match that frequency, the proton will oscillate and emit photons. The electron does not have a resonant frequency, and as a result, it does not emit photons when it reacts with EM waves.
davidsirmons
I'm curious if there is any documented effect along these lines, via EM waves. Hypothetically, all objects have a resonant frequency which will cause them to vibrate when matched. As an example, stone has a resonant frequency per type, its molecules also, atoms also, and I personally theorize that nuclei, protons, or even quarks have their own resonant frequencies. When EM waves are matched to the scale of these quanta, I imagine there would be corresponding agitation from them, and perhaps even previously unobserved phenomena when achieved. Does anyone have insight or thoughts about such things?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclei do. That´s called gamma decay.
Protons also have resonant frequencies - they can be excited to resonances.
Quarks do not, having no internal structure.

Likes mfb
As snorkack indicated: Things need an internal structure to have oscillations. Quarks do not - at least no substructure has been found despite a lot of searches, and there are very good reasons to expect that they are indeed elementary.

There is rarely just one possible frequency, typically there is a whole spectrum of resonances.

Thank you all for the replies!
Gamma decay...perhaps that's not what I'd want to incur. Decay comes from the nucleus, as I understand it. Instead, I'm looking for evidence that an outside signal can be put upon nuclei containing multiple protons, and that the outside signal can incur proton/proton hysteresis or agitation/separation similar to the atom/atom phenomenon, rather than bobbling the entire nucleus around. I'm uncertain if this explains my intention more accurately, but let me know. Here's a pic...
Sbeam_Post.jpg

Attachments

• Sbeam_Post.jpg
    Sbeam_Post.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 645
mfb said:
As snorkack indicated: Things need an internal structure to have oscillations.

Do they? The counter-intuitive nature of that idea stops me cold. Protons are comprised of quarks, yes? Even if quarks have no physical body (does anything, really?) to affect via EM waves, they DO have a frequency, yes? Or at least a vibration. And anything that has a vibration manifests something (energy) we can observe or measure. I have this theory that the current EM spectrum as we define it is not the entirety of what the EM spectrum actually contains, just as light is not the entirety of the EM spectrum, but only a hint of what lies beyond. We may find more, but time will tell. Still, my current search is for a means of incurring hysteresis between the protons in a multi-proton atom via an outside energy.

Nuclear excitations can have different descriptions. Some look like individual protons and/or neutrons going to higher energy levels, some are better described as oscillations of the whole nucleus (giant resonances).
I have no idea what the picture is supposed to show.
davidsirmons said:
Do they?
Yes.
davidsirmons said:
Protons are comprised of quarks, yes?
Sure.
davidsirmons said:
Even if quarks have no physical body (does anything, really?) to affect via EM waves, they DO have a frequency, yes?
Quarks do not "have a frequency". There is no such thing. Protons do not "have a frequency" either, but (unlike quarks) they can be excited to become a different hadron via electromagnetic radiation of a suitable frequency.
davidsirmons said:
I have this theory
You do not have a theory, please don't mis-use that word.
davidsirmons said:
that the current EM spectrum as we define it is not the entirety of what the EM spectrum actually contains, just as light is not the entirety of the EM spectrum, but only a hint of what lies beyond
The EM spectrum contains all frequencies, from 0 to infinity. There cannot be anything else (electromagnetic).
davidsirmons said:
hysteresis
You keep using this word, but not in a context where it would make sense.

I didn't realize there is such sensitivity around the word 'theory'. My apologies.
The picture shows an emitter sending out a beam of energy, striking the nucleus of an atom with multiple protons (P), and incurring X effect (as you dislike hysteresis) on the protons, causing them to push apart from one another. I hope that's clearer...

You can split a nucleus into two or more pieces with gamma rays of sufficient energy. That is not a resonance or anything like that, however.

I have this theory that's not a theory about proton hysteresis that's not hysteresis. I'm lost. Could the question be accurately and simply reformulated?

Likes mfb
An electron is as fundamentally devoid of any internal structure as a quark, and easier to study alone.
So if you compare the reactions:
e-+γ→μ-eμ
and
p+γ→Δ+
Δ+→p+π°
Δ+→n+π+
How does the above-threshold cross-section distribution reveal that the frequency is fundamental to proton (a particle with a structure), but not to electron (a particle with no structure)?

1. What is hysteresis and how does it occur in protons in nuclei?

Hysteresis is a phenomenon where the response of a system lags behind the input or stimulus. In the context of protons in nuclei, it refers to the delay or lag in the alignment of protons when an external magnetic field is applied. This occurs due to the magnetic properties of protons and the energy required to realign them in a new direction.

2. Can hysteresis in protons affect nuclear stability?

No, hysteresis in protons does not directly affect nuclear stability. It is a temporary phenomenon that occurs when an external magnetic field is applied and does not have a lasting impact on the stability of the nucleus.

3. How is hysteresis between protons in nuclei relevant in scientific research?

Hysteresis in protons is relevant in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, a technique used in scientific research to study the structure and properties of molecules. NMR relies on the response of protons to magnetic fields, and hysteresis can affect the accuracy and interpretation of NMR data.

4. Can hysteresis in protons be reversed?

Yes, hysteresis in protons can be reversed by changing the direction or strength of the external magnetic field. This allows for the alignment of protons to be reset and the hysteresis to be eliminated.

5. Are there any practical applications of hysteresis in protons?

Hysteresis in protons is utilized in various technologies, such as magnetic storage devices like hard drives and credit cards with magnetic strips. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to create high-resolution images of the human body.