Infomercial watching early morning

  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary, people are watching these things, people are buying them, and people may be dumb enough to believe them.
  • #1
edward
62
166
Who is up at four in the morning watching these things??

I had to get up early Saturday to make a trip to the Airport. I woke up too early and had about an hour to kill. What I saw while flipping channels and sipping coffee amazed me.

Does anyone need Hip Hop Abbs? Then there was the "Spinner" tm which was just a cheapo stationary bicycle. Several "buy the video and get rich quick" adds were running. Real estate for no money down is still around.

The topper was the Reverend Peter Popoff pedaling his miracle spring water. This guy has been around for over twenty years.

Collectively are we really that dumb?

worried in Tucson
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I gave up watching tv 14 months ago, i watch stargate on mom and dads and that's it, even then the adds drive me nuts, i could very easily kill Zargon (yellow pages add).
 
  • #3
Like daytime television is any better. Let's just say the SAT wasn't kidding when it said you were in the 99th percentile.
 
  • #4
Its always sold by some australian guy too.
 
  • #5
I might assume that since it has gone on for many years now, it works. So, in answer to the original question, yes. People watch them, people buy them.
 
  • #6
Mallignamius said:
I might assume that since it has gone on for many years now, it works. So, in answer to the original question, yes. People watch them, people buy them.

Yeah, that's the part that concerns me. Anyone who can't see though those things must have the IQ of an ice cube.
 
  • #7
edward said:
Yeah, that's the part that concerns me. Anyone who can't see though those things must have the IQ of an ice cube.

And they vote...and sit on juries. Scary, huh? I have jury duty coming up soon, and keep thinking about that...a jury of WHOSE peers? Should people's fates and lives be left in the hands of 12 people who just might be gullible enough to buy things sold on infomercials? And what if I wind up on a jury and find myself trapped in a room with 11 of them?! :eek:
 
  • #8
edward said:
The topper was the Reverend Peter Popoff pedaling his miracle spring water. This guy has been around for over twenty years.
worried in Tucson

HAHAHA! O man I LOVE peter popoff. he has a the scariest face I ever seen on a human being, and even his voice sounds like some sort of cartoon-villain who is planning to take over the world.

and he yells at you "GOD LOVES YOU!"
and you're like "AH!"

"JEA-ZES LOOVES IEEEU!"
"AAAAH! WHY IS THIS MAN ON THE TEEVEE SO ANGRY AT ME!"
 
  • #9
Moonbear said:
And they vote...and sit on juries. Scary, huh? I have jury duty coming up soon, and keep thinking about that...a jury of WHOSE peers? Should people's fates and lives be left in the hands of 12 people who just might be gullible enough to buy things sold on infomercials? And what if I wind up on a jury and find myself trapped in a room with 11 of them?! :eek:

LOL, "have you ever bought anything you saw on a TV infomercial?", will probably become part of the jury selection process used by attorneys.:eek: :eek:
 
  • #10
edward said:
LOL, "have you ever bought anything you saw on a TV infomercial?", will probably become part of the jury selection process used by attorneys.:eek: :eek:

I'd demand it be my attorney's question if I was ever a defendant in a trial! I have a list of others, but I won't discuss them here, because those topics end up too controversial and I just don't want to start it up again. You can probably guess at some from my past posts.
 

1. How does watching infomercials early in the morning affect our purchasing decisions?

Research has shown that watching infomercials in the morning can lead to impulsive and emotional purchasing decisions. This is because our brains are more susceptible to persuasive messaging and we are more likely to make impulsive decisions when we are tired or groggy in the morning.

2. What are the most common products advertised on early morning infomercials?

The most common products advertised on early morning infomercials are health and fitness products, kitchen gadgets, cleaning supplies, and beauty and skincare products. These products are targeted towards a demographic of stay-at-home parents, retirees, and individuals looking for quick solutions to everyday problems.

3. Are the claims made in infomercials scientifically proven?

Not all claims made in infomercials are scientifically proven. In fact, many infomercials use persuasive language and tactics to make their products seem more effective than they actually are. It is important to do your own research and consult with professionals before making a purchase based on infomercial claims.

4. How do infomercials manipulate viewers into buying their products?

Infomercials use various techniques to manipulate viewers into buying their products. This includes using persuasive language, exaggerated claims, before and after demonstrations, celebrity endorsements, and limited time offers. They also target vulnerable audiences, such as those looking for quick fixes or struggling with self-esteem issues.

5. Can watching infomercials early in the morning have negative effects on our mental health?

There is limited research on the direct effects of watching infomercials on mental health. However, the constant bombardment of persuasive messaging and the pressure to make impulsive purchases can lead to feelings of guilt, regret, and dissatisfaction. It is important to be mindful of our own mental well-being and not let infomercials influence our self-worth or decision-making.

Back
Top