Integrating factor for first order linear equations uniqueness theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem for a unique solution of an initial value problem with continuous functions P(x) and Q(x) on an open interval I containing x0. It also explains the Integrating Factor Method for finding the solution and how to select the appropriate constant to satisfy the boundary conditions. The conversation also clarifies that even though the two solutions may be different, they must satisfy the same boundary conditions.
gsingh2011
My book stated the following theorem: If the functions P(x) and Q(x) are continuous on the open interval I containing the point x0, then the initial value problem dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), y(x0)=y0 has a unique solution y(x) on I, given by the formula y=1/I(x)[itex]\int[/itex]I(x)Q(x)dx where I(x) is the integrating factor.

Now the book showed how the Integrating Factor Method was developed, but it doesn't prove this theorem, particularly why a unique solution exists and why there are no other solutions of a different form (singular solutions).

Also it states, "The appropriate value of the constant C can be selected "automatically" by writing, I(x)=exp([itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{x_{0}}_{x}[/itex]P(t)dt) and y(x)=1/I(x)[y0+[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{x_{0}}_{x}[/itex]I(t)Q(t)dt]"

I don't understand how they got this form. If you have a definite integral there shouldn't be constant like y0 either...

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as the proof of existence an uniqueness goes, it is straightforward and can be found at: http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~okar-maa/news/okarproceedings/OKAR-2006/finan.pdf

As for the definite form of the integrating factor, you are indeed correct, no constant arises from the definite integral and therefore we must add an appropriate constant so that the solution satisfies the boundary conditions.

We have

[tex]y(x) = \frac{1}{I(x)}\left(y_0 + \int_x^{x_0} I(t)Q(t)\;\text{d}t\right)[/tex]

[tex]I(x) = \exp\left(\int_x^{x_0} P(t)\;\text{d}t\right)[/tex]

So, if we consider [itex]x=x_0[/itex] we find[tex]y(x_0) = \frac{1}{I(x_0)}\left(y_0 + \int_{x_0}^{x_0} I(t)Q(t)\;\text{d}t\right)[/tex]

Obviously the integral vanishes, leaving

[tex]y(x_0) = \frac{y_0}{I(x_0)}[/tex]

with

[tex]I(x_0) = \exp\left(\int_{x_0}^{x_0} P(t)\;\text{d}t\right) = \exp(0) = 1[/tex]

Hence

[tex]y(x_0) = y_0[/tex]

as required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that makes sense. One thing I don't understand in the link you gave me is on page four, they state w(t)=y1(t0)-y2(t0)=y0-y0. Why are the intial values of those two functions the same, if we assumed that the two functions would be different?

gsingh2011 said:
Thanks, that makes sense. One thing I don't understand in the link you gave me is on page four, they state w(t)=y1(t0)-y2(t0)=y0-y0. Why are the intial values of those two functions the same, if we assumed that the two functions would be different?
Because even though they may be different functions, if they are solutions of the same boundary value problem, then they must satisfy the same boundary conditions!

Does that make sense?

I would say that the uniqueness theorem for first order linear equations is a fundamental result in mathematics that has been proven and accepted by the scientific community. It guarantees that for a given initial value problem, there exists a unique solution that can be expressed using the integrating factor method.

The proof of this theorem involves using fundamental concepts from calculus, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and the existence and uniqueness theorem for ordinary differential equations. It also relies on the continuity of the functions P(x) and Q(x) on the open interval I containing the point x0.

The form of the integrating factor, I(x) = exp(∫P(t)dt), and the solution y(x) = 1/I(x)[y0+∫I(t)Q(t)dt] is derived using the integrating factor method, which is a standard technique for solving first order linear equations. This method involves multiplying both sides of the equation by the integrating factor, which simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve.

The constant C in the solution comes from the fact that when we integrate a function, we always add a constant of integration. In the case of a definite integral, this constant can be chosen automatically by specifying the initial condition y(x0)=y0. This is because when x=x0, the definite integral becomes y(x0)=y0+∫I(t)Q(t)dt, which allows us to determine the value of the constant y0.

In conclusion, the uniqueness theorem for first order linear equations is a well-established result and the form of the integrating factor and solution are derived using standard mathematical techniques. The constant in the solution can be determined automatically by specifying the initial condition.

1. What is an integrating factor for first order linear equations?

An integrating factor for first order linear equations is a function that is used to transform a non-exact first order differential equation into an exact one. It is typically used to solve differential equations that cannot be solved using standard methods.

2. How does an integrating factor help in solving first order linear equations?

An integrating factor helps in solving first order linear equations by multiplying it to both sides of the equation, which transforms it into an exact differential equation. This makes it easier to solve using standard methods such as separation of variables or the method of integrating factors.

3. What is the uniqueness theorem for integrating factors?

The uniqueness theorem for integrating factors states that for a given first order linear differential equation, there exists a unique integrating factor that can transform it into an exact differential equation. This means that there is only one correct integrating factor that can be used to solve a particular differential equation.

4. How do you determine the integrating factor for a first order linear equation?

The integrating factor for a first order linear equation can be determined by using the formula: μ(x) = e∫P(x)dx, where P(x) is the coefficient of the y' term in the differential equation. Once the integrating factor is determined, it can be multiplied to both sides of the equation to make it exact and solve it using standard methods.

5. Can an integrating factor be used for higher order linear equations?

Yes, integrating factors can also be used for higher order linear equations. However, the formula for determining the integrating factor becomes more complex and may involve multiple integrals. It is also important to note that the uniqueness theorem may not hold for higher order equations, so there may be multiple integrating factors that can be used to solve a particular equation.