Is a 25th anniversary LOTR box set in mint condition worth anything?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Physics is Phun
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
lets say I had a 25th anniversary box set of LOTR in mint condition, would they be worth anything?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
See if someone is selling that set on eBay. These days, eBay sets the price.
 
Probably not.
I've got a mint first edition of Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and that is hardly worth anything.
 
arildno said:
Probably not.
I've got a mint first edition of Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and that is hardly worth anything.


The Latin one? I might give you 25 bucks for it.
 
selfAdjoint said:
The Latin one? I might give you 25 bucks for it.
I'll think about it.
 
can anyone find the 50th anniversary for sale from an actual bookstore, (online). It's the blue hardcover leatherbound edition
 
arildno said:
Probably not.
I've got a mint first edition of Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and that is hardly worth anything.
Ooooh :-p

By first edition you mean printed in 1687?
 
From what I have learned from my in-laws who are collectors/antiquers, the only real valued books are first run printings. You can have a first edition, but not a first printing. It gets tricky. There are people who specialize in book appraisal. You might try to hunt one down on-line and see if they can give you a rough ball park figure.
 
lol, i don't think a first edition is is my price range :P
 
Unless this was a very limited printing, I doubt it. LOTR has simply sold too many copies and it's hard to believe that any edition is all that rare unless the publisher intentionally made it that way.
 
loseyourname said:
Unless this was a very limited printing, I doubt it. LOTR has simply sold too many copies and it's hard to believe that any edition is all that rare unless the publisher intentionally made it that way.

http://www.oddvolumesunited.com/appraisals.html

Again, I think you need to look around. Look at the very top in bold:
Another lucky book owner found his signed paperback Tolkien - "The Lord of the Rings" appraised at $10,000. Do you own a book treasure?
Granted, this was signed, but a first printing might be valuable as well.

I have no idea if they are legit, but how can you turn down such a thoughtful looking individual?

http://www.oddvolumesunited.com/art/appraise.gif