Is a physics PhD worth it for government research jobs?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physicist
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Rhine720
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
So I've been reading around a lot and from what I've gathered The job pool for engineers pay more, but my real passion was for physics and research. So I read more.

My questions are, what is government research? When people say they want to do research does that mean strictly for government or is that personal research or a mixed both? Seeing as how no matter where I read that getting places with a PHD in Physics is rough i came to figure that doing research for the government would be a safe bet, plus getting be on the edge of new research. Can someone give me a little more information? Thanks =]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rhine720 said:
So I've been reading around a lot and from what I've gathered The job pool for engineers pay more, but my real passion was for physics and research. So I read more.

My questions are, what is government research? When people say they want to do research does that mean strictly for government or is that personal research or a mixed both? Seeing as how no matter where I read that getting places with a PHD in Physics is rough i came to figure that doing research for the government would be a safe bet, plus getting be on the edge of new research. Can someone give me a little more information? Thanks =]

Here is just one possible opportunity for you: http://www.darpa.mil/