Is a proton's movement considered a subject of Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of classical mechanics versus quantum mechanics in understanding the movement of protons in a force field. The individual had initially questioned the use of classical mechanics in a quantum level and wondered if Schrodinger's Equation should be used instead. The response explains that classical mechanics is an approximation and can be accurate enough for certain systems, such as electron beams in cathode-ray tubes or proton accelerators. However, for a more precise understanding, Schrodinger's Equation should be used, as it takes into account the potential rather than just the force. The conversation ends with the individual expressing gratitude and asking for further explanation on how to apply quantum mechanics in this scenario.
karkas
Is a proton's movement considered an object of Quantum Mechanics?

I had this thought a while ago when we were studying movements of protons in a force field, specifically inside the field of a charged capacitor.

The thing is that we used Newton's Second law to find the magnitude of the force exerted to the particle in a specific point. Then I thought "Hey,what the h*ll? Is this possible in a quantum level, isn't it sense-less?"

Am I wrong or right? I asked my sister and she told me this has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. My thought is that we have to use Schrodinger's Equation instead of Newton's. Enlighten me please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Classical mechanics is the large distance limit of quantum mechanics. It's an approximation for protons and it's an approximation for baseballs. Whether it's a good enough approximation depends on the system at hand and your toleration for inaccuracy. It's entirely possible that it's good enough for the system at hand - particularly in elementary physics classes.

Consider the motion of an electron beam in a cathode-ray tube such as an old-fashioned TV set or oscilloscope. Classical physics is good enough for designing these devices.

Or giant racetrack proton accelerators - you need SR, of course, but not QM.

So I was right, what we were doing was a (good perhaps) approximation. Thank god, I thought I had misunderstood what QM is!

Now something optional. Can you show me perhaps a way to work with Quantum mechanics in such an exercise, per say? Thanks already, you are a very nice forum! :)

Well instead of force, you go to potential and do the shcrödinger equation.

For instance the Coulomb force between electron and proton, go to potential, solve for bound states -> Hydrogen atom.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It explains the fundamental nature of matter and energy and how they behave in the quantum realm.

2. How does Quantum Mechanics relate to a proton's movement?

Quantum Mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the movement of a proton. It explains how a proton can exist in multiple positions and how its movement can be described by a wave function.

3. Can a proton's movement be accurately predicted using Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, Quantum Mechanics allows us to predict the movement of a proton with a high degree of accuracy. However, due to the uncertainty principle, we can only predict the probability of a proton's position at any given time.

4. Are there any other factors that influence a proton's movement besides Quantum Mechanics?

While Quantum Mechanics is the primary theory used to describe a proton's movement, there are other factors that can influence it, such as electromagnetic and nuclear forces. These forces can affect the trajectory of a proton and its interactions with other particles.

5. How does the movement of a proton differ from that of larger particles, such as atoms?

The movement of a proton follows the same principles of Quantum Mechanics as larger particles, but the effects are more pronounced at the subatomic level. Protons are considered elementary particles, meaning they are not made up of smaller components and their movement is governed by quantum laws.