Is a Taxpayer-Funded Adventure to Aruba Worth It?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Jimmy Snyder
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
22
Some people go to Aruba while others have Aruba thrust upon them. Whatever that means. Saturday morning I am off to Aruba for a two week taxpayer funded all-expenses paid tour of One Happy Island. Check out the scratch marks on the airport tarmac made by my fingernails as they dragged me back onto the airplane last year. This time I will investigate the sturdiness of beach chairs. I am bringing some books with me, one on QM, two on QFT, and a novel "Dune Messiah". I hope to meet you there. If not, please keep the snow off the sidewalks for me while I'm gone.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm sunny beaches, cabana boys, drinks with umbrellas, coconut smelling suntan oils, beach chairs! Sounds like I may be a bit jealous. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
 
FredGarvin said:
Cooku-Canooko (or however it's spelled)
The locals speak a creole called Papiamento. I have never taken it upon myself to learn any of it except Bom Dia meaning good day. If you speak Spanish or Portuguese then you should be ok for most things since those are two languages in the creole. I have no idea what you said.
 
what said:
Cool, what QFT books are you bringing?
A Primer of QM by Marvin Chester.
QFT by Franz Mandl and Graham Shaw
A Pedestrian Approach to QFT by Edward Grant Harris
 
hypatia said:
Hmm sunny beaches, cabana boys, drinks with umbrellas, coconut smelling suntan oils, beach chairs! Sounds like I may be a bit jealous. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
I'll concentrate on the young ladies wearing bikinis that violate the laws of physics. You can have the cabana boys.
 
Have fun, Jimmy! I just spent 2 hours moving white stuff (no, not coke) and I could stand some beach-time.
 
Gokul43201 said:
kuku kanuku?
That's the name of a party bus. As I understand it, you pay $googolplex to get on the bus in the early evening. They serve you inedible food and watered down water and there's a DJ who encourages the guests to play-act lewd sequences. I'll pass. But the phrase must mean something. Perhaps it's Papiamento for 'you pay ... sequences'.
 
I thought for a second you were tied up with a french letter, have a nice time jimmy.
 
wolram said:
I thought for a second you were tied up with a french letter, have a nice time jimmy.
:smile: That took a while. First I had to google french letter and then I had to think "what does he mean". I had in mind an Abbot and Costello movie "Road to Morocco" where they sing "Just like Webster's dictionary, we're Morocco bound."
 
jimmysnyder said:
That's the name of a party bus. As I understand it, you pay $googolplex to get on the bus in the early evening. They serve you inedible food and watered down water and there's a DJ who encourages the guests to play-act lewd sequences. I'll pass. But the phrase must mean something. Perhaps it's Papiamento for 'you pay ... sequences'.
It wasn't quite that bad when we did it. It is, essentially, a sanctioned bar crawl with a "decent" meal at the beginning and provided transportation. Granted, I got tired of the having to act like a party idiot while on the bus so everyone could see how much of a good time you were having. It was a good way to see some bars that we wouldn't have found other wise. I could think of worse ways to spend a few hours at night.
 
jimmysnyder said:
I'll concentrate on the young ladies wearing bikinis that violate the laws of physics. You can have the cabana boys.

Oh thank you, I've always wanted a cabana boy !
 
I got to Aruba in the middle of a warm snap. I like 82 degree weather, but unfortunately, it was 83. Balmy-force winds made it feel like 82[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] so it wasn't all that bad. I submitted my official report which I repeat here in full: The beach chairs were good. I brought a library copy of Mandl and Shaw with me and I liked it so much, I bought a copy from Amazon this morning. Although I have been going to Aruba every year for the past 4, next year I plan to go to Rio.
 
You are a mean person jimmy. :devil:

That's ok, I like sub freezing temperatures.
 
jimmysnyder said:
I got to Aruba in the middle of a warm snap. I like 82 degree weather, but unfortunately, it was 83. Balmy-force winds made it feel like 82[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] so it wasn't all that bad. I submitted my official report which I repeat here in full: The beach chairs were good. I brought a library copy of Mandl and Shaw with me and I liked it so much, I bought a copy from Amazon this morning. Although I have been going to Aruba every year for the past 4, next year I plan to go to Rio.
Ah, Rio! Are the ladies still favoring dental-floss thong bikinis there, or are you just going for the healthful waters?
 
turbo-1 said:
Ah, Rio! Are the ladies still favoring dental-floss thong bikinis there, or are you just going for the healthful waters?
Doctor's orders. He said I need a week of quiet rest and relaxation.