Is c1 + c2 x^.5 a Solution of y y'' + (y')^.5 = 0?

  • Thread starter Thread starter roeb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fundamental Ode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
roeb
Messages
98
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Verify that y1(x) = 1 and y2(x) = x^.5 are solutions of the following y y'' + (y')^.5 = 0. Then show that c1 + c2 x^.5 is not in general a solution of this equation.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I was able to show that both y1 and y2 are solutions to the DE. I found the Wronskian to be 1/(2 sqrt(x)) which is not equal to zero, so I was under the impression that this would mean that the two solutions would form a fundamental set of solution. Does anyone see why c1 + c2 x^.5 isn't a solution?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does it matter if it's not linear in general? Boyce/Diprima's theorems don't seem to make note of whether or not the ODE must be linear for a set of fundamental solutions to be valid.
 
I'd have to see the theorem, but linearity is the property that tells you if y1 and y2 are solutions to an ODE then so is c1*y1+c2*y2. I think you need it.