Is equation of line or curve in 3 space have to be a parametric equation?

In summary, curves in space do not have to be represented by parametric equations. A line or curve can be represented by a parametric equation if needed, but any time you have n equations in n+1 variables, you can, theoretically, solve for n of the variables in terms of the other one.
yungman
I have been confused about this. When come to equation of lines and curves in even 2 space, they automatically go parametric equation x(t), y(t) etc. I just want to verify my understanding:

For 3 space, equation using x, y and z will automatically produce a plane or a surface. In order to produce a line or curve, they have not choice but to represent x, y and z in form of x(t), y(t) and z(t) so it become line or curve.

Therefore a linear line or a curve HAS to be represented by a parametric equation.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of solutions of these two equation defines a curve in R3:
x2 + y2 = 1
z = 2

Mark44 said:
The set of solutions of these two equation defines a curve in R3:
x2 + y2 = 1
z = 2

In the calculus books I studied include Sherman Stein and Howard Anton. They only represent lines and curves in 3 space with parametric equation. Also in the chapter of vector value function. All the books I have immediately go to parametric equations.

My point is that curves in space don't have to be represented by parametric equations.

Thanks.
Alan

Curves are one dimensional. That means that every point can, theoretically, be determined by using a single number. If you write a curve in terms of parametric equations, then that single number, the parameter, is apparent.

But any time you have n equations in n+1 variables, you can, theoretically, solve for n of the variables in terms of the other one. For example, if you have 3x+ 2y+ z= 4 and x- y- z= 5, adding the two equations eliminates z giving 4x+ y= 9. You can then solve for y in terms of x: y= 9- 4x. Putting that into the second equation, x- (9- 4x)- z= -3x- 9- z= 5 or -z= 14+ 3x so that z= -14- 3x. We could then use x as parameter:
x= t, y= 9- 4t, z= -14- 3t. But the two equations 3x+ 2y+ z= 4 and x- y- z= 5 represent that line (geometrically you can think of the line as the intersection of the two planes given by those equations.

Another way of representing a curve is in what is called the "symmetric form": f(x,y,z)= g(x, y, z)= h(x, y, z). That is just a way of representing the two equations f(x,y,z)= g(x,y,z), g(x,y,z)= h(x,y,z). Again, since there are two equations in three variables, you could, theoretically, solve for two of the variables in terms of the third- its graph is one-dimensional, a curve.

HallsofIvy said:
Curves are one dimensional. That means that every point can, theoretically, be determined by using a single number. If you write a curve in terms of parametric equations, then that single number, the parameter, is apparent.

But any time you have n equations in n+1 variables, you can, theoretically, solve for n of the variables in terms of the other one. For example, if you have 3x+ 2y+ z= 4 and x- y- z= 5, adding the two equations eliminates z giving 4x+ y= 9. You can then solve for y in terms of x: y= 9- 4x. Putting that into the second equation, x- (9- 4x)- z= -3x- 9- z= 5 or -z= 14+ 3x so that z= -14- 3x. We could then use x as parameter:
x= t, y= 9- 4t, z= -14- 3t. But the two equations 3x+ 2y+ z= 4 and x- y- z= 5 represent that line (geometrically you can think of the line as the intersection of the two planes given by those equations.

Another way of representing a curve is in what is called the "symmetric form": f(x,y,z)= g(x, y, z)= h(x, y, z). That is just a way of representing the two equations f(x,y,z)= g(x,y,z), g(x,y,z)= h(x,y,z). Again, since there are two equations in three variables, you could, theoretically, solve for two of the variables in terms of the third- its graph is one-dimensional, a curve.

Thanks a million, this is exactly what I need, a comparison.

Alan

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical representation of a curve or line in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. It allows for the coordinates of a point on the curve or line to be expressed in terms of these parameters.

2. How is a parametric equation different from a standard equation?

A standard equation expresses the relationship between two variables, typically x and y, in terms of a single equation. A parametric equation, on the other hand, uses one or more independent variables, known as parameters, to describe the coordinates of points on a curve or line.

3. Why do we use parametric equations in 3D space?

In 3D space, a curve or line can have more complex shapes and orientations. Parametric equations allow us to more easily describe these curves and lines by using parameters to represent the coordinates of points on the curve or line.

4. Is a parametric equation always necessary for representing a line or curve in 3D space?

No, a parametric equation is not always necessary. In some cases, a standard equation may be sufficient to represent a line or curve in 3D space. However, for more complex shapes and orientations, a parametric equation may be more useful.

5. What are the advantages of using a parametric equation for representing a line or curve in 3D space?

One advantage of using a parametric equation is that it allows for more flexibility in describing complex curves and lines. It also makes it easier to visualize and manipulate these curves and lines in 3D space. Additionally, parametric equations can be used to represent curves and lines that cannot be described by a standard equation.