Is fractional orbital momentum theoretically possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of orbital angular momentum taking fractional values and which laws of physics would need to be changed in order for this to be possible. It is mentioned that anyons may be able to have nonstandard phase under 360 degree rotations, but this is still related to spin. The conversation also explores the idea that light can have fractional orbital angular momentum without violating the conservation of momentum. It is suggested that measuring in units of 2 hbar could allow for non-integer angular momentum, even for spinless charged particles in the presence of a magnetic field.
haael
It bugs me: is it theoretically possible for orbital angular momentum to take fractional values? Which laws of physics should be changed to get that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyon" can. But I'm not sure, it's not really my area.

Real electrons in real atoms? I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no. I'm not talking about real electrons (I'm sure they can not have fractional orbital momentum). I'm not talking about anyons, either. They can just have nonstandard phase under 360 deg. rotatios, but it's still all about spin.

Alas, I'm not talking about spin, but about orbital angular momentum. What should be changed in our laws of physics to have fractional orbital momentum possible?

haael said:
No, no. I'm not talking about real electrons (I'm sure they can not have fractional orbital momentum). I'm not talking about anyons, either. They can just have nonstandard phase under 360 deg. rotatios, but it's still all about spin.

Alas, I'm not talking about spin, but about orbital angular momentum. What should be changed in our laws of physics to have fractional orbital momentum possible?

Nothing need be changed if you are talking about orbital angular momentum of Light. Most folks don't realize light can be created with orbital angular momentum.: http://www.aip.org/png/2005/229.htm

Apparently it can be fractional, and without violating COM...

http://books.google.com/books?id=Vf...q=fractional orbital angular momentum&f=false

Last edited by a moderator:
haael said:
What should be changed in our laws of physics to have fractional orbital momentum possible?
Measure in units of 2 hbar.

Angular momentum becomes non-integer even for spinless charged particles once a magnetic field is present.

1. Is fractional orbital momentum possible in theory?

Yes, fractional orbital momentum is theoretically possible. It is a concept in physics that refers to the amount of momentum an object has while in orbit around another object. This momentum can be expressed as a fraction of the total orbital momentum.

2. What is the significance of fractional orbital momentum?

Fractional orbital momentum is significant because it helps scientists better understand the dynamics of objects in orbit. It also plays a role in orbital mechanics and can be used to calculate the trajectory of a spacecraft or satellite.

3. Can fractional orbital momentum be observed in real-life?

Yes, fractional orbital momentum has been observed in real-life. For example, a spacecraft in a highly elliptical orbit will have a fractional orbital momentum due to its varying speed and distance from the object it is orbiting.

4. How is fractional orbital momentum calculated?

Fractional orbital momentum is calculated by dividing an object's angular momentum by its orbital angular momentum. This can be represented by the equation Lf = L/a, where Lf is the fractional orbital momentum, L is the angular momentum, and a is the orbital angular momentum.

5. Are there any practical applications of fractional orbital momentum?

Yes, fractional orbital momentum has practical applications in space exploration and satellite operations. It can be used to optimize the trajectory and fuel consumption of spacecraft and satellites, making space missions more efficient and cost-effective.