1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it a good or bad idea to do research during the semester?

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    Taking a break from studying for finals, so I thought I'd ask something I've been wondering.

I'm going to start my second semester of second year in January and I was hoping to get some research experience. I'm applying to REUs for the summer but until then I wanted to do research (or be a lab assistant, since I don't really know anything being in second year). I'll be in 17 credit hours next term and I can drop a maximum of 3 credits and stay in my program. Would it be worth it to drop 1 class and do a little bit of lab work next term or better to focus on my classes?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2
    I say this as an undergrad, but yes, you absolutely should. Doing research looks much better on a grad school application than taking any one class.

Maybe someone who actually knows things can back me up here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook