Is it a good or bad idea to do research during the semester?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
vancouver_water
Messages
76
Reaction score
10
Taking a break from studying for finals, so I thought I'd ask something I've been wondering.

I'm going to start my second semester of second year in January and I was hoping to get some research experience. I'm applying to REUs for the summer but until then I wanted to do research (or be a lab assistant, since I don't really know anything being in second year). I'll be in 17 credit hours next term and I can drop a maximum of 3 credits and stay in my program. Would it be worth it to drop 1 class and do a little bit of lab work next term or better to focus on my classes?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I say this as an undergrad, but yes, you absolutely should. Doing research looks much better on a grad school application than taking anyone class.

Maybe someone who actually knows things can back me up here.