1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it really a bad idea to do a Masters before doing graduate in the U.S?

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I've read and been told that it's not a good idea to do a masters (in Europe) before doing a graduate course in the U.S. Is it really a bad idea? would it reduce the chances of getting a place in a graduate program or is it just that it's not required? I understand that it might be repeating some stuff but surely if I've already covered it I can find something else to do? or even start the research early?
    Also since my BA results will come in a considerable while after application deadlines in the U.S will I still be able to apply for that year?
    If not is there any harm in doing a masters in that extra year or should I find something else to do?
    Sorry for asking so many questions,
    Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2
    I don't think it reduces your chances at all, in fact it may improve them if your grades are decent during the msc. I see a lot of graduate students from the EU and India often get admitted into US grad programs with a MS. under their belt, just look through department webpages. If a MS can expose you to research then it is a really, really good idea, as in the EU it's pretty hard to get research experience as an undergrad.

You probably wouldn't be able to apply for the same year though.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    +1. There are no such things of REUs 'round here.

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4
    Although they aren't so popular I've come across some, also it seems a few American REUs (http://www.surf.caltech.edu/index.html) take international students.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook