Is it really a bad idea to do a Masters before doing graduate in the U.S?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
icma
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I've read and been told that it's not a good idea to do a masters (in Europe) before doing a graduate course in the U.S. Is it really a bad idea? would it reduce the chances of getting a place in a graduate program or is it just that it's not required? I understand that it might be repeating some stuff but surely if I've already covered it I can find something else to do? or even start the research early?
Also since my BA results will come in a considerable while after application deadlines in the U.S will I still be able to apply for that year?
If not is there any harm in doing a masters in that extra year or should I find something else to do?
Sorry for asking so many questions,
Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it reduces your chances at all, in fact it may improve them if your grades are decent during the msc. I see a lot of graduate students from the EU and India often get admitted into US grad programs with a MS. under their belt, just look through department webpages. If a MS can expose you to research then it is a really, really good idea, as in the EU it's pretty hard to get research experience as an undergrad.

You probably wouldn't be able to apply for the same year though.
 
Lavabug said:
in the EU it's pretty hard to get research experience as an undergrad.

+1. There are no such things of REUs 'round here.
 
Darth Frodo said:
+1. There are no such things of REUs 'round here.
Although they aren't so popular I've come across some, also it seems a few American REUs (http://www.surf.caltech.edu/index.html) take international students.