Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to become ambidextrous?

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    Lets say you want to learn to write with your non-dominant hand. Is it simply a matter of practise?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

I would say yes. When one of my friends got into a serious accident, he couldnt use his dominant hand at all for a long period of time. As a result of this, he was forced to use his non-dominant hand. He now shows off that he can write with both his left and right hand.

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What else can he do with his left hand? :uhh:

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4
    I would say yes too, for those very same reasons. I also know some people who, by one fate or another, were forced to use the non-dominant hand.

6. Mar 11, 2007 #5
    a similar thing happened to reinhard goebel, the leader of the orchestra musica antiqua koln. he plays the violin & after a motorcycle accident he couldn't play the same way as before but he wanted to continue playing so he switched to playing 'wrong-handed'. he said he had to practice 8hrs a day to get as good as he was before.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?