Is it possible to construct a gauge theory with local ISO(3) symmetry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Einj
Messages
464
Reaction score
59
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to build a gauge theory with a local ISO(3) symmetry (say a Yang-Mills theory)? By ISO(3) I mean the group composed by three-dimensional rotations and translations, i.e. if ##\phi^I## are three scalars, I'm looking for a symmetry under:
$$
\phi^I\to O^{IJ}\phi^J,
$$
with ##O^{IJ}\in SO(3)## and under:
$$
\phi^I\to\phi^I+a^I.
$$

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This group is not compact due to the translations. Usually this leads to problems with ghosts.
 
I don't want to quantize the theory. I'm just looking for a Lagrangian for classical fields invariant under local ISO(3). Is this still pathological?
 
I think the translation makes it pathological... Take for example the mass term:
[itex]m^2 \phi^2 \rightarrow m^2 (\phi^2 + 2 a \phi + a^2)[/itex]
Maybe you can drop the third term off your Lagrangian, but the second term doesn't seem right... and I don't think there is a way to get rid of it.
If the field is massless, then the kinetic terms work fine with the translations and a term like
[itex]|\partial \phi|^2[/itex] seems fine, as long as [itex]a^I \ne a^I(x)[/itex].
If it's local, then it's pretty similar to a local U(1).
 
Last edited:
Yes, I'm talking about a Lagrangian that only depends on derivative of the fields in the form ##\mathcal{L}(|D_\mu\phi|^2)##, where the covariant derivative must be found by imposing the right transformation rules under an ISO(3) gauge transformation. In particular, I'm writing an infinitesimal transformation as ##U=1+i\alpha^ap^a+i\beta^aJ^a##, with ##p^a## and ##J^a## being the generators of the shifts and rotations. Do you think this is possible?