Is it Possible to Find Fulfillment in a Mundane Job?

• Thread starter Delta_Craig
  • Start date
In summary, finding fulfillment in a mundane job is possible through a shift in perspective and finding meaning in the seemingly ordinary tasks. This can be achieved by setting personal goals, finding ways to contribute to the company or others, and cultivating a positive attitude towards work. Additionally, incorporating passion and hobbies into daily routines can also bring a sense of fulfillment in an otherwise mundane job.
Delta_Craig
How did you find PF?
Google
I found myself dreading Monday morning, I’d imagine most due... but this is a recurring theme with my “chosen” field of work. I slipped into an easy, repetitive field of work in the pipefitting industry, welding pipe among other mechanical tasks. Most days are spent completely stunned with boredom.. listening to podcasts or whatever genre of music tickles my fancy at the moment.

I can’t work just for the money any more and have decided to give myself a variable.
If I can stomach introductory physics, calculus, algebra and chemistry... I’ll try to change the coded train of thought that runs in my family; back breaking work for good money.

At this point in my life, family and passion about work would make me happier than the 6 figure salary.

I felt like I had to kinda get that off my chest, therapeutically, and as an explanation as to why a welder is on your forum with an open mind, full of gratitude.
Ready for Delta.

Thanks
-Craig

Likes ANAli, PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Craig! :smile:

Likes russ_watters
Welcome to PF!

You might consider bringing this up in our academic and/or career guidance sections, where we can talk about whether there are pipefitting-adjacent fields that enable you to engage your brain on a similar type of work that currently mostly uses your hands. E.G, engineering, designing, project management, etc.

Likes Delta_Craig
Hey that’s an intuitive idea 👌
I’ll hop over there after.

Likes russ_watters