Is it Safe to Take Online Calculus Courses from For-Profit Schools?

• Thread starter NotGauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of taking online mathematics courses and concerns about credit transfer to a brick and mortar state school. The suggestion is to check with the schools to see what online courses they accept or consider testing out of a course to take a more advanced one. The conversation also mentions resources for refreshing math skills and suggests avoiding for-profit schools in favor of community colleges.
NotGauss
Hello all!
I am currently looking to take some online mathematics course from an accredited college, more accurately the Calculus series...Calc I,II, and III. I want my courses to transfer to a brick and mortar state school when I am capable of enrolling full time in school. I worry about take classes from the advertised schools as they are for profit schools and I worry about the transferring of credits later on. Any insight on the issue would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks for your time and help

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to check with the schools you might attend to see what online courses they might accept. Sometimes you can test out of a course (no credit) so that you can take a tougher course where it's a prerequisite. As an example you test out of Calc 1 so you can take Calc 2.

For topic refresh you can look at khans academy or mathispower4u for short video tutorials on math from high school to first year college.

Why for profit? There are some community colleges that offer online calculus courses. You should check and see if the CC you plan to attend at a later date offers such a course. That would ensure the course is at least some what compareable to the brick and mortar course offered at the same institution.

Although I generally don't recommend online courses at all. If this is your only option though, it's better than Phoenix or something.

What is an online mathematics course?

An online mathematics course is a virtual class that teaches mathematical concepts and techniques through the use of technology, such as videos, interactive exercises, and online assessments. It allows students to learn at their own pace and from the comfort of their own home.

What topics are covered in an online mathematics course?

The topics covered in an online mathematics course vary depending on the level and focus of the course. However, most courses cover topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. Some courses may also cover more specialized topics, such as linear algebra or differential equations.

Do I need to have prior knowledge of math to take an online mathematics course?

It depends on the level of the course. Some online mathematics courses are designed for beginners and assume no prior knowledge of math. However, more advanced courses may require a basic understanding of math concepts and techniques. It is always best to check the course description or prerequisites before enrolling.

How do I access materials and assignments for an online mathematics course?

Most online mathematics courses have a learning management system (LMS) where students can access course materials, assignments, and assessments. The LMS may also have features such as discussion forums and chat rooms for students to interact with each other and the instructor.

Can I get help if I am struggling with the material in an online mathematics course?

Yes, most online mathematics courses offer support for students who are struggling with the material. This can include online tutoring, virtual office hours with the instructor, and peer-to-peer support through discussion forums or chat rooms. It is important to reach out for help if you are having difficulty understanding the material.