Is It Too Late to Find Summer Research Opportunities in Seattle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jrising
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Research Summer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
jrising
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Is it too late to find summer research volunteer opportunities? I just finished my undergrad freshman year in California but am spending my summer in Seattle. Because I started college as a second semester student, I do not have much 'direct' physics experience and I imagine it will be difficult to find research projects that could me. Most of the physical science research in Seattle is done through the University of Washington, which got out a few weeks ago. Is it still worthwhile to solicit myself to UW physics researchers, and does anyone know of any research done around Seattle with other institutions? If not, what would be a worthwhile academic use of my summer?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Too late indeed. Most students apply for research positions in the winter semester. But that doesn't mean you can't do something useful; have you considered self-study?
 
agree with it being too late, and the self- studying idea. Perhaps take a hand at learning a programming language. Useful, and plenty of resources for self-study.
 
Dickfore said:
UW stands for University of Wisconsin, not Washington!

Not if you are in Seattle.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Not if you are in Seattle.

Irrelevant.
 
Thanks for the advice you guys. What methods of self-study do you recommend? Unfortunately I am not able to sit in on many classes because I work during those hours.
 
jrising said:
Thanks for the advice you guys. What methods of self-study do you recommend? Unfortunately I am not able to sit in on many classes because I work during those hours.

i think it depends on what topic you intend on studying - but all topics require dedication and forcing yourself to learn a little something everyday
 
I'd say for self-study it's very helpful to read some background information and skim the important parts of things you'll be studying in the fall, and perhaps try to learn most of the concepts. Note, learning isn't mastering, but this technique has proven to be amazing for me for mathematics because by the second time around when I actually study the material, I can take the time to fully master it and that is a very good thing let me tell you.

You should probably be able to go onto MIT's website and watch some Open CourseWare lectures. Other schools like I believe one of the HYP's and Stanford definitely have videos up on youtube that you can watch as well. The internet is full of resources. Google up some daily class notes for, say, modern physics and review them and see if you can solve some of the problems. It's a fun way to get ahead and be on top of your game to get a good grade in the fall.